Topic: Wide whitewall care

bo8109b    -- 05-12-2010 @ 2:48 PM
  What is a good homemade cleaning solution for cleaning and whitening the wide whitewalls on my '48? The caustic cleaning products on auto store shelves scares me, unless you can recommend a favorable product.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-12-2010 @ 3:53 PM
  Westlys Bleach White,
This is what I have been using for 35 years,
just use it on the white walls,and tires.
all of these products need to be used with care,
read directions first...
maybe someone will weigh on another,?
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,,,,,!!!!
37RAGTOPMAN

one50ford    -- 05-12-2010 @ 4:40 PM
  Westly's works well but you do not want any of the mist from the spray to get in your eyes, or breath it in. It hurts! I stopped using it and went back to SOS pads you can buy at the store.

40guy    -- 05-12-2010 @ 6:25 PM
  Westley's also works magic on blackwalls too. It will choke you if you wiff it in though.I usually hold my breath while I spray it.

42guy    -- 05-12-2010 @ 7:35 PM
  I have Diamondback whites on mine. They say to use "Simple Green". It works great on mine.

ford38v8    -- 05-12-2010 @ 7:42 PM
  Good old fashioned SOS pads gets them as white as can be. No matter what product you use, though, don't ever use any kind of wire brush. don't ask how I discovered that bit of wisdom.

Also, there will be a spin off of dirty water from the rim, so drive half a block and wipe them dry.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-13-2010 @ 5:39 AM
  those metal pads scuff up the whitewall, making it harder to get clean,the next time,and wears the white wall,
I use a nylon brush and Westley's, if the spray bothers you, just spray a little on the brush,
when applying it, or use a mask,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 05-13-2010 @ 8:10 AM
  I like No-Touch white letter cleaner, when I can find it. It is much better than Westley's, which is my second choice.

Tom

supereal    -- 05-13-2010 @ 9:00 AM
  We use a product called "Super Clean". That stuff will clean anything from anything. We buy it by the gallon for our shop. One caution: be sure to use gloves because it is hard in skin. We just used it to clean a long piece of plastic fence that resisted all other commercial cleaners and a pressure washer. We sprayed it on, and just hosed off the grime and mildew. I use it on wide whites, too. SOS scruffs the rubber, and Bleche White eventually seems to cause yellowing.

TomO    -- 05-14-2010 @ 7:36 AM
  I re-read your original post. Kitchen cleanser is a bio friendly product and does clean the white walls. It takes a little more effort than the products discussed here. Simple Green will also clean ordinary road dirt from the white walls. It will remove wax, so you should be careful where you spray it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1236