Topic: '37-'39 Steering Box Rebuild

hardtop25    -- 09-16-2018 @ 5:27 PM
  How to remove rolling sector and worm gear for inspection, clean-up and bearings, seals, gaskets etc.? The box is out and on the bench. Thanks.

juergen    -- 09-17-2018 @ 7:59 AM
  Take the top off and then you can push out the sector. Then take the end off (don't wreck the gasket) and the bottom race will come out (note the shims for a tight fit) so you can push out the worm.

hardtop25    -- 09-17-2018 @ 1:52 PM
  Ok, I've got the sector out. For the worm, do I remove the end bearing first or can the bearing come out with the worm as a driver? The shaft is still on. I'm reluctant to start pounding on stuff before I know correct way.
This is an upgrade for my '36 pickup. I plan to use the '36 shaft because the lock sleeve is in correct location. The shaft and lock sleeve of the '37-'39 is badly rusted and not likely to budge to slide up. How does the shaft and worm separate?

Thanks,
Steve

hardtop25    -- 09-17-2018 @ 1:54 PM
  Ok, I've got the sector out. For the worm, do I remove the end bearing first or can the bearing come out with the worm as a driver? The shaft is still on. I'm reluctant to start pounding on stuff before I know correct way.
This is an upgrade for my '36 pickup. I plan to use the '36 shaft because the lock sleeve is in correct location. The shaft and lock sleeve of the '37-'39 is badly rusted and not likely to budge to slide up. How does the shaft and worm separate?

Thanks,
Steve

juergen    -- 09-18-2018 @ 3:42 PM
  The bearing (race) can come out with the worm as a driver. Actually the worm is on the shaft and the whole thing can come out together.

hardtop25    -- 09-19-2018 @ 5:42 PM
  Ok, worm gear and shaft are out , no sweat. Is the shaft a press fit on the gear? If so, what is best method to separate the two? I want to use the shaft from my '36 steering box. Thanks.

juergen    -- 09-21-2018 @ 11:34 AM
  Nobody has answered your question, so I will tell you what worked for me. Yes it was pressed on. I have removed the worm by placing the shaft loosely and vertically in a large vice and using a large punch driving out the shaft. When replacing it I heat it in my wife's oven (when she is out shopping) to 212 degrees (for no reason except that it doesn't dry out leftovers at that temp) and tapping it into the new shaft.

And I read some replies from earlier Fordbarn questions that claim it has to be pressed out and pressed on.

This message was edited by juergen on 9-21-18 @ 11:36 AM

hardtop25    -- 09-21-2018 @ 2:03 PM
  Thank you Juergen. Figured I'd have to muscle it out. You've been a great help.

TomO    -- 09-22-2018 @ 9:44 AM
  Because you want to preserve the gear, I would have it pressed off and on by a machine shop, if you do not have an arbor press.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12348