Topic: 1934 ford wiring harness/12 vlot

stan white    -- 09-16-2018 @ 10:28 AM
  I would like to use a new wiring harness on my 34 Ford. I would like to convert to 12 volts and add turn signals. I have a converted 12 volt gen and a 12 volt alternator inside a gen housing. Do I stay with a positive ground? Any help appreciated.

This message was edited by stan white on 9-16-18 @ 10:30 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 09-16-2018 @ 1:48 PM
  I would definitely go 12 volts negative. One of the advantages to going to 12 volts is that you can use modern electronics (cell phones, GPS, chargers, radios, jump starting from another 12 volt car, etc.). Another related comment is if you are using your original ammeter you can run a shunt across the two terminals to keep from damaging the ammeter with to many amps. Be sure to run a wire heavy enough to carry all of the current in case the ammeter fails. Volts are not the problem, amps are. See photo of the back of the ammeter in my '32. Some of the current will go through the ammeter and the rest around it. The reading will be low but you can't have everything.

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-16-18 @ 1:52 PM

TomO    -- 09-17-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  Stan, I am in favor of leaving the car 6 volts, unless you are adding air conditioning. There is no need to go to 12 volts as your car will run fine on 6 volts and be easier to troubleshoot when you have a problem.

You can add turn signals and a 3rd brake light while your car is still 6V positive ground.

You can charge your phone and GPS with one of the battery packs that are now available. There are several different sizes and shapes as well as different charging capabilities, so I am sure that you could find a couple that would fit in the glove box on trips.

As far as getting a jump from another car, I have not needed one for over 40 years of touring with my old cars. A 34 is so easy to push, that you could probably push it yourself to start it with a weak battery.

Tom

Robert/Texas    -- 09-18-2018 @ 5:34 AM
  When I converted my '34 roadster to 12-volts, negative ground around 20 years ago, I found that the volt meter was energized through a wire loop. I only needed to reverse the direction of the wire through the loop.

1934 Ford    -- 09-19-2018 @ 6:56 PM

I've been driving 1934 Fords since 1972, all 6 Volts. A couple of Great American Races (1984 & 1987) and over a dozen Glidden Tours, and countless other tours.
6 volts was good enough for Henry Ford, good enough for me t00.
My Fordor has turn signals too. I even wired the cigar lighter as the flasher light for the signals.
The first 34 got a hydraulic brake conversion, which I always regretted
doing too.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12347