Topic: frame tie down loops on my '42

Mtpockets335    -- 09-13-2018 @ 8:42 AM
  My 1942 Fordor has 4 'tie down loops' bolted to the frame. They look quite handy for shackling the vehicle onto a railway flatcar or trailer.

Is this a standard fit on all early Fords of the era, or a special fit for the US Army contract Fordors?

Picture attached shows one loop, backing plate and hardware.

MT

woodiewagon46    -- 09-13-2018 @ 9:53 AM
  Is your car an army vehicle? I have never seen those tie downs before. The way the army was shipping vehicles with rail cars and boats I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't military.

Mtpockets335    -- 09-13-2018 @ 1:36 PM
  Hi Woodie

You are correct, my car is a 42 Fordor 2GA-73C sedan with the G series 6 cyl motor as built for the US Army. It has parking light 'deletes' on the front fenders, blackout lights front and rear and original olive drab plastic parts on the dash.

The tie down loops (eyes?) are something (IMO) that is also unique to these cars. I don't have the 'Green guide' so I can't say if these parts are shown in there.

Here's another picture, this time showing one of the loops on the frame, prior to removal .

MT

woodiewagon46    -- 09-13-2018 @ 2:58 PM
  If you are a member of the V-8 Club there is a gentleman named Mike Nichols, that has military vehicles. He might have an answer for you. Like I mentioned, I have seen the WW II pictures of cars lashed down to RR flatcars and boats so you may have a rare part.

Mtpockets335    -- 09-14-2018 @ 12:12 AM
  I am a member of this fine club, albeit from the north eastern end of the Atlantic!

Do you happen to know Mike's username?

I will also ask Fred Killian if he would like to contribute to this discussion.

Kens 36    -- 09-14-2018 @ 7:01 AM
  Mike Nickels is the Station Wagon advisor for the Early Ford V-8 Club. His contact information is in the CARespondence column in the V-8 Times. Page 93 in current issue.

Ken

Mtpockets335    -- 09-14-2018 @ 1:20 PM
  Thanks for the info on Mike- I've since found an email on the website staff roster.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12336