Topic: running on 6 cylinders

Zero    -- 09-12-2018 @ 12:48 PM
  I was able to get my 37 mod 78 running but only six cylinders are firing. No. 4 & No. 7 are the ones not firing. The distributor has been rebuilt, new spark plugs and wires. Rotor caps are good. Checked connectivity on each wire from the distributor cap and all plug wires are good. The rotor does have some play in it which I read in other postings could cause problems but would that not effect all cylinders? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for reading.

John

TomO    -- 09-13-2018 @ 7:04 AM
  John, do you have spark at the the cylinders that are not firing? If not, check the continuity between the inner cap and the plug wire end.

If you have spark, check your compression. If it is low, try dribbling some Marvel Mystery oil down the carburetor and then after shut down, squirt some into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. This may free up a stuck valve.

Tom

Zero    -- 09-13-2018 @ 4:08 PM
  Tom thanks for getting back to me. I have continuity from the inner caps to the end of all the plug wires. No spark at all on No. 4 and No. 7. Compression on all cylinders is around 80 lbs, low but car had been sitting four or five years. I've done the MMO into the cylinders at initial startup. Carb has been rebuilt and seems to be functioning correctly.

TomO    -- 09-14-2018 @ 6:29 AM
  John, because the problem is on both banks and the 37 distributor has a separate cap for each bank, I think that your problem is the seating of the wires in the inner caps. The wires seem to make contact with the cap when the cap is in your hand, but when you replace the cap on the distributor, they are loose enough to not make contact.

I cannot think of any other cause for not getting spark to the plugs. Even if the wire insulation was bad inside the conduits, you should see a weak spark at the plug.

Tom

keith oh    -- 09-14-2018 @ 2:56 PM
  You might check to see if someone has used carbon wires ( to reduce radio noise) which break down and cause missing.

Zero    -- 09-16-2018 @ 5:02 PM
  Thanks for all your tips. I'm going to try the old wire on the two cylinders to see if anything changes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12335