Topic: Heater brainstorm ?

GK1918    -- 09-10-2018 @ 4:55 AM
  Time of the year again. I installed a heater from a 9,000 mile
fire truck Its the same one as a 46 Super deluxe. Its mint of course
6vt pos. The core has plenty of heat 180 degrees but the air flow
is worse than wimpy. So with a brain flash, how about a boat
bilge blower.? they move a lot of air. Then I thought of my fathers new 1951 DeSoto the blower was under the hood and threw heat.
Plan was for a dryer hose to the back where the fan is. Checked
around ebay and others. 12 & 24vt all over , 6vt nope. Or
maybe a 12vt garden tractor battery in the trunk LOL
I have been using Sterno heat but that fogs glass. a roll of paper
towels every 10 seconds. Oh well I'll keep searching..

TomO    -- 09-10-2018 @ 6:41 AM
  The bushings in the blower motor may be worn, causing the motor to run slow.

You may not have allowed space behind the heater for the blower to have a good supply of air.

The heater in my 40Merc coupe generates enough air flow so that the heat is felt in the back seat.

Fire trucks do not put many miles on the odometer, but usually have many more hours on the engine and accessories.

Tom

bo8109b    -- 09-10-2018 @ 7:26 AM
  Experienced the same issue in a '48 Ford car. Took an after market 6v heater motor from C&G and mounted a solid state switching device on same size bracket as original. Gives speed control and fan reversal for defrost and blows a blast. Sold the car as original. Motor and control sits on a shelf, if you want it cheap. Carl

bo8109b    -- 09-10-2018 @ 7:26 AM
  Experienced the same issue in a '48 Ford car. Took an after market 6v heater motor from C&G and mounted a solid state switching device on same size bracket as original. Gives speed control and fan reversal for defrost and blows a blast. Sold the car as original. Motor and control sits on a shelf, if you want it cheap. Carl

woodiewagon46    -- 09-10-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  GK, you are doing a lot of engineering to get heat but as long as the heater core isn't plugged, the motor running at rated speed, good flow thru the core and the proper fan blade you should get plenty of heat. I have the same heater and in my '46 and it works great. I would try to locate an original motor and fan blade and try that first rather than do some of the things you are suggesting. If you push too much air thru the core your air will be colder than normal. Too fast is as bad as too slow.

MG    -- 09-10-2018 @ 10:18 AM
  Did you try lubricating the heater motor?....

GK1918    -- 09-10-2018 @ 11:26 PM
  I really have not got to it yet. Think I will check the voltage OR a jumper
wire direct from the battery. I now think it may be weak voltage which
is an easy fix. > the fan just isn't running fast enough, its like its on
low or maybe the switch is junk. sam

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12331