Topic: '34 doors latches are self locking!.

Golly 34    -- 09-07-2018 @ 9:47 PM
  Howdy from New Zealand. ! I recently imported a '34 tudor street rod from Ca. Nice car.. All stock body Runs a small block Ford running gear, independent front end etc. Great cruiser. I have found 2 problems. If you push the door handle forward to get out of the car, and let it go, it's springs back and sets the lock. So once out, I can't get back in. It's done it a few times but luckily the window was down so I could reach the interior handle and un-lock it. Also found out the key will not un-lock the door.It will un-lock the handle (if I remove it from the door) but there is obviously some link missing between the door handle and the latch? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers Golly

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2018 @ 10:38 PM
  #streetrodproblems

Alan

Golly 34    -- 09-08-2018 @ 12:55 AM
  Alan, I'm not sure what to do with that link? / reply. Should it refer me to a previous post? thanks

TomO    -- 09-08-2018 @ 8:56 AM
  The key will not unlock a door that has been locked by the handle on the older Fords. This is due to the design of the lock.

You will have to remove the door panel and examine the remote handle mechanism to see if you can repair the wear that is causing your problem. I don't know of an easy fix for your problem.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 09-08-2018 @ 9:18 PM
  Golly, my apologies to you. My reply was a misguided attempt at humor at your expense because you have a street rod rather than a pure restored or original Ford.

TomO's response is as good as it gets. Take the door panel off to discover hidden secrets you may be able to fix.

Alan

trjford8    -- 09-09-2018 @ 7:25 AM
  I suspect there is a broken spring in the handle remote mechanism. the spring is in the bracket that retains the handle shaft. As others have said you will need to remove the door panel as the issue is obviously in the internal parts.

1934 Ford    -- 09-13-2018 @ 9:45 AM
  Here is the Deluxe door & lock. the Standard has a separate lever at the front of the doors. Push back to lock forward to unlock on Standard.
Apparently you have a mal-function, suggest you take it apart as suggested.

1934 Ford's since 1972

3w2    -- 09-13-2018 @ 4:48 PM
  With respect, there was no difference between standard and deluxe door locks at any point in time during the '34 model year. There was a running change during the model year that relocated the door handle from the front of the doors (as shown in the photo above) to the upper center of the doors (on both standard and deluxe models). At the same time a separate short lever was added to actuate the lock function at the lower center of the front of the doors.

Golly 34    -- 09-15-2018 @ 6:20 PM
  Thanks for that info. Yes I assume now there is perhaps a spring or something that is supposed to stop the door handle from flicking back in to the lock position by itself. I will have a look inside the door soon and have a look around Thanks again guys !

1934 Ford    -- 09-16-2018 @ 7:51 AM
  3w2,
Thanks, I thought from that picture identified as a Deluxe 34 door panel that Deluxe may have been different than the Standard. The centered handle in all the 34's I ever had is a better reason for the separate lock handle that all of them had.
I think the forward door handle was a carryover from the 1933.
Your clarification clears it all up, Thanks.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12323