Topic: '46 Fan Hub Lube

51woodie    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:13 AM
  I am confused as to what lube should be used for the fan hub on my '46. I took it apart and could not figure out what the lube was, as it was all gummy. At some point in time, a seal was installed, held in place by silicone, where the shaft comes out of the hub. It was removed. I searched the Forum and found a posting that had different opinions on what lube to use.
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2216&keywords=fan
I used SAE 20, as that was what I read on the fan hub decal that is sold by DC and BD. I'm not sure why the decal would spec. 20weight. Maybe I should have read the '46 Owners Manual instead of a catalogue!. In any event, I installed the fan and have driven about 400 miles so far without a problem. The Owners manual says to use SAE 140 in summer, the Ford Service Manual specs. SAE 90 year around, and there are other suggestion in the posting. The questions are; do I continue with the SAE 20 as per the decal, if not, do I use 90 or 140? Is there a way to drain the oil without taking the hub appart? Will it drain if I take the fan assembly out, stand it on the shaft end (with the blades horizontal) and turn the fan?

supereal    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:33 AM
  The decal on the fan blade wasn't changed, but the correct lube is transmission oil. The proper way to refill the reservoir is to fill the hub, then turn the fan until the filler hole faces down before you replace the filler hole screw. This allows excess oil to drain, assuring the reservoir isn't overfilled, which will cause the underside of your hood to get s coat of oil. I got tired of fooling with the overcomplicated stock fan hub and made a ball bearing replacement that has been trouble free for years and miles.

51woodie    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:37 AM
  Filling is not a problem, but how do you empty it to change the lube.

supereal    -- 09-09-2018 @ 11:28 AM
  That is usually not a problem, as the stock hub is commonly empty or near empty from leakage as the corkscrew shaft carries the oil out of the reservoir and drops it at the end so it can be scooped up and repeat the cycle. One of the Ford mysteries is why they use such an arrangement when Henry Ford always preached simplicity. The hub doesn't have anything that resembles bearings, and relies on the cast housing and oil film instead. Over-tightening the belt is the main cause of problems, which can include tossing the fan into an expensive radiator.

51woodie    -- 09-09-2018 @ 5:00 PM
  In the miles I have driven so far, there is no sign of leakage from the fan hub. So, to go back to my original question, is there a way to drain the 20 weight oil without taking the hub appart? Will it drain if I take the fan assembly out, stand it on the shaft end (with the blades horizontal) and turn the fan?

estout81    -- 09-09-2018 @ 6:21 PM
  I have the same hub on my '48 F-1. I don't know how you would drain the hub without taking it apart. I wouldn't worry about the 20W oil. I use 30W non detergent in mine. Every time I change the oil I service the fan. Been working fine for 12K miles. Also, for what it's worth, I think 90W or higher is too thick when you look at the design of the hub.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12312