Topic: 1946 Brake bleeding

rcoyne    -- 09-03-2018 @ 4:05 PM
  I cant get a pedal when I try to bleed the front brakes on a 1946 Ford. The DOT 3 fluid is getting by the pistons and leaking out of the wheel cylinder. I thought it was a defective new cylinder so I bought a more expensive Delco unit (also made in China) and I am getting the same result.. Anybody else experience this problem?

kubes40    -- 09-03-2018 @ 5:17 PM
  Two bad cylinders in a row. Perhaps a tad difficult to believe but that is the only answer.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 09-03-2018 @ 11:19 PM
  Mike, with all due respect, that is not the only possible answer:
Incorrect cylinders or shoes; or incorrect installation.

rcoyne, double check part numbers with applications, and correct installation. Suppliers often send the wrong parts!

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-04-2018 @ 5:20 AM
  Alan, You make a valid point indeed.
I should not have taken for granted that the installation was correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

cliftford    -- 09-04-2018 @ 5:33 AM
  I would take it apart and sure it is assembled correctly. Anything can happen in China.

carcrazy    -- 09-04-2018 @ 6:04 AM
  If you can't find any wheel cylinders that don't leak, you can purchase a wheel cylinder hone for around $15, hone the leaking cylinder, and install a new rebuild kit.

TomO    -- 09-04-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  I would like to know exactly what you did to the brake system:

Did you replace all wheel cylinders? What made you decide to replace the ones that you did?
Did you replace the master cylinder? If so did you bench bleed it by using short strokes until the piston could not be pushed in by hand?
Did you replace the shoes and adjust them?
Were you able to bleed the rear brakes so that no air bubbles showed in the fluid ?
Were you able to bleed the front cylinders so that no air bubbles showed in the fluid?
What procedure are you using to bleed the brakes?

Tom

supereal    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:11 AM
  Bleeding the brake system on old Fords is complicated by the position of the master cylinder in relation to the wheel cylinders if you are using the "pump and hold" method. You may use lots of fluid and still not have a "good" pedal. The best method is by using a pressure bleeder. Have a nearby brake shop do it for you if have one.

51woodie    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:25 AM
  I replaced all wheel cylinders, master cylinder and a few brake lines on my stock '46 Deluxe. When it came to bleeding the system, I pre-bled the master, then used a vacuum (hand pump type) bleeder to bleed the lines. The sequence was; RR - LR - RF - LF. I did this sequence twice, and ended up with a nice solid pedal. Someone may have a suggestion on a different sequence, but this worked nicely for me.

4ford    -- 09-14-2018 @ 11:08 AM
  i have used the phoenix reverse bleeding pump and it works better than anything

FordFreak    -- 09-14-2018 @ 2:14 PM
  I went through 4 about 12 yrs. ago on a Falcon before I got a good one ! Got a NEW Raybestos and all was fine .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12305