Topic: Jacking on a Banjo

51woodie    -- 09-01-2018 @ 4:37 PM
  Are there any concerns about jacking the rear of a '46 Coupe by the center section of the axle, using a floor jack with a wood pad between the jack saddle and the diff.? Will that cause any damage to the axle/housing?

kubes40    -- 09-01-2018 @ 4:58 PM
  Nope... very strong in that area.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

cliftford    -- 09-01-2018 @ 8:23 PM
  I was told that this is a no-no due to the weight placed on the ends of the axle housings.

I was told that this is a no-no due to the weight placed on the ends of the axle housings.

cliftford    -- 09-01-2018 @ 8:24 PM

MG    -- 09-01-2018 @ 8:38 PM
  Say what???

TomO    -- 09-02-2018 @ 8:16 AM
  The weight of the tires and wheels on the end of the axle housings is much less than the the weight of the car placed on the ends of the axle housings when the car is on all four wheels.

Tom

51woodie    -- 09-02-2018 @ 8:20 AM
  How is it that there are often repeats on some of the posts, in this case, six of them? Thanks for your reply Mike, I'll go with your response. Center jacking is a lot easier/faster when lifting and placing safety stands for service work on the rear.

cliftford    -- 09-02-2018 @ 8:40 AM
  I know, we all used to do this back in the day. I was told that the weight of the rear of the car, transferred to the axle through the springs and supported by a jack under the banjo, could have a bending effect on the rear axle assembly.

flathead48    -- 09-03-2018 @ 5:46 AM
  I would think that when you jack up the car in the center of the rear you Will have the weight of the car being supported by one little area.

flathead48    -- 09-03-2018 @ 5:47 AM
  I would think that when you jack up the car in the center of the rear you Will have the weight of the car being supported by one little area.
The same weight is on the housing when hacked in center as sitting on ground since the weight is carried through the spring to the housing
Just my opinion

This message was edited by flathead48 on 9-4-18 @ 7:23 AM

MGG    -- 09-04-2018 @ 5:03 PM
  As a retired engineer, the bending moment in a beam (the force making it bend or break, if high enough) is the highest when applied centered between beam supports. Think of the rear axle as an upside down beam supported on each end by the spring perches with the force applied to the center at the banjo if jacking is done there. This force is the rear weight of the car. The normal bending moment at each end of the axle is much less because the supports (wheels) are not that far away from the force (spring perches). For this reason, I would not be comfortable jacking this way. I always place my jack directly under the spring so that I am not introducing any abnormal bending forces.

LarryK    -- 09-04-2018 @ 6:34 PM
  I am also a retired engineer and I agree totally with MGG's analysis and conclusions.

Larry

40cpe    -- 09-05-2018 @ 6:18 AM
  I'm no engineer, but I agree that jacking from the center does place more stress on the assembly. Has anyone considered the materials and design of the rear to determine if it has the strength to support the weight of the body without damage if jacked from the center?

The same question can be asked about the front axle. It has the engine and the body to support. Is it strong enough to withstand jacking from the center without damage?

51woodie    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:33 AM
  Thank you all for your comments. From now on, it's jacking on spring mounts for me. A good point about jacking on the front axle as well. Sometimes the easiest way is not the best way.

ford38v8    -- 09-05-2018 @ 11:00 AM
  With due respect for all your considered Engineering opinions, when was the last time anyone heard tell of an axle or housing or center section being damaged from jacking at the center? Ford, Brand X, or anything in between.

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-05-2018 @ 2:24 PM
  I think the fact that millions of times of jacking these cars up by the center section without damage is "test" enough.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-06-2018 @ 6:40 AM
  After reading MGG's post I remember why I struggled to get a "C" in Theory and Applied Mechanics in college.

The forces are applied as MGG stated, but I think that the material and design of the axle housings is strong enough to handle the forces present when the car is jacked up by the differential housing. If they were not, many of the cars from the 1950's would have bent housings. It was common practice to jack the car up this way to clean the white walls. The automatic car washes reduced the number of hand washes on the later cars.

Tom

JM    -- 09-06-2018 @ 7:05 AM
  With additional respect to the engineers who have previouly posted, in the 60 years I've been working on, and driving these early Ford V8 vehicles, I've not seen any damaged front or rear axles from jacking these vehicles up at the center of their axles, and I have also occasionally jacked my own vehicles from the axle centers with no damage to report. However, if you have concerns about doing this, then don't. There are many other locations on these vehicles that can be used to jack them up, some being safer than others. Just use common sense.

John

cliftford    -- 09-06-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  What a can of worms. JM, your last post says it all.

Bill E Bob    -- 09-06-2018 @ 9:32 AM
  And I thought it had something to do with 5 strings

MGG    -- 09-06-2018 @ 4:05 PM
  I should have asked this a long time ago - Does Ford say in any of the earlier literature where to place the jack? Later on they furnished a bumper jack. When did they start doing this, 1949??

Robert/Texas    -- 09-14-2018 @ 6:41 AM
  My '37 has a bumper jack in the compartment under the back end of the trunk. I've never tried to use it but I am quite sure it was original equipment.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12298