Topic: 1938 Front License Plate Bracket

Dream38v8    -- 08-27-2018 @ 8:59 AM
  I want to purchase a front license plate bracket. All license plate brackets are all designed for the outside right side bumper brace placement. This bumper brace has two holes for the bracket to mount. Whoever restored my '38 Deluxe Fordoor put this bumper brace on the left side. Can the license plate bracket be modified for a left side mount? If not do I need to switch the bumper brackets back to where the belong?

Ray

39 Ken    -- 08-28-2018 @ 3:31 AM
  Why not just pull the bumper and bumper braces
and re-install them in their proper location?

Dream38v8    -- 08-28-2018 @ 3:37 AM
  Swapping the bumper brackets was my first thought. Modifying the license plate bracket seemed like an easier solution. I will be crawling under the car today to investigate swapping the bumper brackets. This would also keep the car closer to original.

Ray

kubes40    -- 08-28-2018 @ 6:03 PM
  Swap the brackets and be done with it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Dream38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 1:40 PM
  Taking the advise of Ken and Michael I decided to remove the bumper and brackets. This is easier said than done. Bumper, bumper guards and fog lights off easy. The bumper bracket bolt closest to the bumper off easy. The back bumper bolt no way to it get off that I know. The bolt head is easy to locate while the nut is located inside the frame rail. I can barely get a single finger to touch the nut. The is no way I can get any wrench in to hold the nut. If I could I am not sure how I would hold the nut once I started to reassemble. The 1938 - 1938 book was of no assistance. Besides disassembling the entire front end does anyone have any ideas? Did I miss something simple.

Ray

40cpe    -- 08-30-2018 @ 2:25 PM
  I just looked at my '38 Deluxe...You can access the rear bracket nut from the top side of the frame in the engine compartment. You will probably want to remove the hood side panels, though.

carcrazy    -- 08-30-2018 @ 2:29 PM
  Do you think you can get a hacksaw to cut off the head of the bolt? If not, perhaps you can use a grinding bit in an electric or pneumatic hand drill to grind the head of the bolt off.

ford38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 2:32 PM
  Ray, Here's a photo showing both front and rear bracket nuts inside the passenger side frame rail. With the front bolt/nut removed, I'm sure you can get a box wrench in to the inner nut. You won't have to turn the nut, just hold it while turning the bolt.

Alan

Dream38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 4:29 PM
  I'll look tomorrow. I hope my car is like you describe. BTW I run the car without the sidepanels during the summer.

Ray

Dream38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 4:32 PM
  My Deluxe is not the same as yours. I can not get a camera anywhere close to take a pic like yours.

Ray

Dream38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 4:33 PM
  Yes, I could cut the bolt, but there is no way I could get a nut back on the new bolt. I hope 40cpe is right. Stay tuned tomorrow.

Ray

ford38v8    -- 08-30-2018 @ 10:20 PM
  Sure you can. I used my iPhone, inside the fender, in front of the frame member. Plenty of room to get a box wrench in there. You won't be able to see what you're doing, but just go by the pic and the bolt head on the outside.

Alan

TomO    -- 08-31-2018 @ 8:08 AM
  You should be able to follow Alan's advice, by removing the front bolt and then use a box wrench or combination wrench to hold the nut for the second bolt.

To install the bracket, use masking tape to hold the nut in the box wrench and then start the bolt in the nut.

I would not cut the head off of the bolt to remove the bracket. You may find it difficult to find the correct replacement bolt.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 08-31-2018 @ 3:57 PM
  Alan, thanks for the pic. I was able to locate a short open end 3/4" wrench. This allowed me to get the back nut off. Putting it back on was another matter. I am not sure how, but I was able to get two fingers back there to start threading the nut back on. The reassembly process took approx. 3 hours. Again, thanks for prodding me on.

40cpe I could not find an opening from the top.

Ray
ps. I ordered the front license plate holder.

Ray

ford38v8    -- 08-31-2018 @ 10:47 PM
  I just love success stories!

Alan

TomO    -- 09-01-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Me too, I wish more people would follow up with the solution to their problem with the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12280