Topic: Wham, Blew out Old Muffler ??

murphy1941    -- 08-26-2018 @ 10:22 AM
  Riding along about 50, nice and smooth, then gave it some gas for hill coming up, Bamb!! it scared the wits out of me. Muffler had a small hole at the outlet end and I was going to patch so it could last until next yeR but no such luck. What are main causes of this as its first time it happened to me. The outer WRAP was peeled half off. Thk for your attention. Ps it has electronic ignition 4 barrel carb.

MG    -- 08-26-2018 @ 10:46 AM
  Sounds like you're running way too 'rich'. The muffler actually exploded due to raw fuel being ignited inside it. Have you noticed any black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe?....

supereal    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:58 AM
  It is likely that the carb is leaking into the intake manifold, allowing the system to load up with fuel. It could be a leaking power valve or other place. Pull the carb and set it in the bench when it is full of gas, and see if any leaks appear down the barrels. It doesn't take much leakage to promote an explosion in the exhaust system, and it can be dangerous.

sarahcecelia    -- 09-05-2018 @ 5:18 PM
  Mufflers always have gas vapor in them. When I was a kid ,18 years old, a friend had a 1949 Mercury with a Model T coil hooked up to Spark plug in the tail pipe. When he flipped a switch connected to that coil, flames shot out the exhaust pipe! An air leak in the exhaust system can cause a muffler to explode, because there are flames coming out of the exhaust pipe (the pipe connected to the exhast manifold and the inlet of the muffler) and when air and gas vapor are just right, BOOM!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-5-18 @ 5:19 PM

trjford8    -- 09-09-2018 @ 7:42 AM
  Going down the road we used to turn the ignition key off in the Model A and then turn it back on after a few seconds and "Boom". Usually resulted in scaring the heck out of any dog or cat in the neighborhood along with a neighbor or two.

GK1918    -- 09-10-2018 @ 4:29 AM
  Boy do I remember the Model T coil / plug thing. Even better, so how?
can't remember but its wired with one wire, plug wire I think went to
the body somehow with a open ground, when you touched the car, you
are the ground. Model T coil will wake ya up. Kind of like electric horse
fence.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12277