Topic: front seat stuck

russ40standard    -- 08-20-2018 @ 7:50 PM
  Oops, I accidentally posted this in the New Book section. Here goes in this section

I'm 2 weeks into taking ownership of a 40 ford 2-door standard sedan. The front seat is stuck in a forward position too close to the steering wheel. Can't get a good look at the hardware because of the foot rests on the back of the front seat. How do I remove the foot rests? I can't see how these could be useful in the first place.
Thanks.

4dFordSC    -- 08-20-2018 @ 8:14 PM
  Probably best to remove the seat from the car so you can clean up and lubricate the locking mechanism and slide rails. Each rail is attached to the floor with two bolts.

carcrazy    -- 08-20-2018 @ 8:17 PM
  Don't know how to remove the footrest on the rear of the front seat but you may not have to in order to free up the seat. You may be able to get under the front of the seat with an applicator tube on a can of
WD40, aim the tube at the seat release mechanism and tracks, and lube the system to get the seat to move.

JayChicago    -- 08-21-2018 @ 1:23 PM
  Russ

Its OK to post questions specific to the 40 in the 1940 Forum. I just posted an answer about your seat problem over there. And more importantly, so did Mike Kubarth, the club's very knowledgeable adviser on the 1940 Ford.

I had the identical problem with my 1940 seat when I first got my car. I was able to get it freed-up following the procedure recommended above by Carcrazy. And once freed with some lubricant on the tracks, the seat works fine. But my seat was stuck about half way back; will probably be more difficult to get at the tracks from the front if stuck full forward.

supereal    -- 09-05-2018 @ 10:52 AM
  Some seats have a wire or rod connecting the sides to actuate the track release. If the wire or rod is broken or otherwise damaged, the seat will stay stuck regardless of the oiling of the tracks. Usually the whole seat must re removed to get at the mechanism to repair it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12262