Topic: Wiper Motor for a '46 Ford

51woodie    -- 08-16-2018 @ 2:03 PM
  The wiper motor, a TRICO SSR 1-4, on my '46 is very slow. I opened it up, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. Still poor operation. The seal on the flapper was hard, but fit fairly snug in the wiper body. I contacted Wiperman about a rebuild or the availability of a rebuild kit. The response was; "Sorry, I do not rebuild them or sell a kit. This motor is a very poor design and was replaced with a new system in the middle of the 1947 model year due to its poor performance." Any suggestions for options? Is the ’47 motor a direct fit to the ’46, is an adapter bracket needed or will it not fit? Was it the valving in the ’46 that was poor, or the sealing material on the paddle? Also, I checked the vacuum at the motor and it is 18", so there are no leaks, and the control valve operates properly as well.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-16-2018 @ 3:51 PM
  51, I can't answer your questions, but I have a '46 wiper that I removed from my '46 Woodie, that you can have if you want it, woodiewagon46@gmail.com.

GK1918    -- 08-17-2018 @ 2:01 AM
  I have the same problem, but it works fair to good with the right
wiper arm/blade removed. So I got to live with it.

TomO    -- 08-18-2018 @ 7:52 AM
  According to the Green Chassis parts catalog the 46-47 motors are interchangeable. The 48 motor os a different design.

Another cause for slow wipers is binds in the linkages due to worn pivot points. Remove the linkage from the car and check all of the pivot points for play. If they are worn, look for replacements. If the pivots are OK, use a graphite or other dry lube that does not collect dirt to lube the pivots and reinstall the linkage.

Tom

51woodie    -- 08-19-2018 @ 8:11 PM
  Thanks TomO. I contacted Wiperman about a kit or rebuild, and his response was; "This motor is a very poor design and was replaced with a new system in the middle of the 1947 model year due to its poor performance", and went on to say in a later email that the change to the newer design required extensive modifications. I accepted woodiewagon46's offer for a motor that had low time on it, so I'll see how it performs.

TomO    -- 08-20-2018 @ 7:43 AM
  There are a few other people that repair wiper motors and may be able to help you with making your current motor a spare. One is Kent Jaquith, but he may be retired now.

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

Another thing to try is to let the motor run without the load of the arms and blades after lubricating it. I have to let my Mercury do this every spring or they will work very slow in the rain.

Tom

42merc    -- 08-20-2018 @ 8:58 AM
  I also recommend Kent Jaquith.
The last wiper re-builder I used was Dave Ficken in NY.
Excellent job. I think Dave has passed & his son is carrying on. The '41 thru '46 wiper motors are a little murky as to what will exchange
Either one of these rebuilders can make your '46 motor run like new.

len47merc    -- 08-20-2018 @ 11:16 AM
  51woodie - note the '42-'47 and '42-'48 model years for Mercury had 2 suppliers of wiper motors with arms/hardware specific to each. King Seeley and Trico both provided these systems during these time periods for Mercury - whether this is applicable to Fords or not warrants a bit more research and MAY save you some headaches if this is actually the case. Attached is a drawing fyi.

EDIT - Echo the endorsement for Kent Jaquith.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-20-18 @ 11:18 AM

51woodie    -- 08-20-2018 @ 7:49 PM
  len47merc Thank you for the drawing. I definitely have a TRICO unit. Also thanks to the others for the contact info for rebuilds, and suggestions on how to improve operation.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12255