Topic: 1935 radiator removal

Lobo    -- 08-13-2018 @ 3:26 PM
  Any tips on removing my 35 flathead radiator would be appreciated

foto1man    -- 09-15-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Hello,

I'm needing to replace the radiator in my 35 also.
Have you had any messages or responses to your post?
I would like to do it myself and like to know the proper steps to take out and then put in.

Thanks, Kenneth

foto1man    -- 09-15-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Hello,

I'm needing to replace the radiator in my 35 also.
Have you had any messages or responses to your post?
I would like to do it myself and like to know the proper steps to take out and then put in.

Thanks, Kenneth

JM    -- 09-19-2018 @ 1:12 PM
  The way I remove the radiator in my '35 is......drain coolant using petcocks on either side of lower front block. Remove hood, and hood ornament Remove upper and lower radiator hoses, unclip the headlight wiring harnes from lower radiator tank, remove the radiator to firewall support rods, generator and fan, both water pumps, distributor, lower radiator mounting bolts and springs, and all fasteners that hold grille to radiator at top and sides. Then lift up on top, center part of grille just enough to allow the top tank of the radiator to lean back out from under the grille. Then very carefully lift the radiator up and out of the engine compartment

John

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:09 AM
  Hello Lobo and foto1man.

I'm going to try to post several photographs of what was done to get the radiator out of our '36 for repair .......... not identical sheet metal on your '35s, but pretty close.

First, as shown in Photo 1, the hood was removed, followed by the hood ornament.

Coolant was drained and saved.

All fasteners were put into labelled envelopes so they would be easily identified when it was time to install the repaired radiator.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:18 AM
  Photo 2 ......

Next the radiator support bars were undone (shown supported by a Fiesta flipper bar hubcap for the purpose of taking this shot). They are marked L (left) and R (right) for re-assembly later.

A rag is protecting the top of the air cleaner.

Not shown is a thick piece of cardboard inserted behind the rad to protect its cooling fins from being damaged by the fan or the distributor.

Unlike John, I had decided to take the grille right off. Removing water pumps was therefore not necessary, and as an added bonus the front of the engine was fully accessible for cleaning and painting while the radiator was out being repaired.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:20 AM
  Photo 3 ......

The pan below the radiator has been removed.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:27 AM
  Photo 4 ......

The headlights have been laid back on rags. Next the horn panels and grille were removed.

I'm thinking that the different front end on your 1935 Fords would allow you to take the grille off ........ or maybe just loosen it and tilt it forward ......... without having to remove the headlights or horns.

Perhaps this decision will be driven by whether or not you want to clean up and paint the engine while you're waiting for the rad to be re-done.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:39 AM
  Photo 5 ......

It's out! The last step was to carefully remove the rad hoses without damaging the radiator outlets.

Easier said than done. All four were stuck. Henry's Revenge strikes again. This was probably the hardest part of the job.

With all eight clamps loosened and hot water poured on the hose ends, the rubber softened up. Gentle prying eventually loosened the hoses.

After that only the spring bolts at the bottom remained to be undone.

Grant    -- 09-20-2018 @ 6:43 AM
  Photo 6 ......

The parts pile, with envelopes full of various fasteners.

Note the small green can of Pennsylvania lubricant at lower right. I found it to be helpful.

foto1man    -- 09-20-2018 @ 4:20 PM
  John,

Thanks a lot for your reply. This will really help.
Your instructions are very detailed. Nice to have someone that's been there before.

Thanks for the help.
Kenneth

foto1man    -- 09-20-2018 @ 4:20 PM
  John,

Thanks a lot for your reply. This will really help.
Your instructions are very detailed. Nice to have someone that's been there before.

Thanks for the help.
Kenneth

foto1man    -- 09-20-2018 @ 4:34 PM
  Grant,

Thanks for you reply. Though the cars are different they are similar in a lot of ways and your steps will help a lot.
I especially like the Pennsylvania lubricant your using. That's the only thing that will be different. Mine comes in a brown bottle, the lubricant might be different but the end result is the same. Seems I never use it on the car!

Thanks a lot,
Kenneth

foto1man    -- 09-20-2018 @ 4:34 PM
  Grant,

Thanks for you reply. Though the cars are different they are similar in a lot of ways and your steps will help a lot.
I especially like the Pennsylvania lubricant your using. That's the only thing that will be different. Mine comes in a brown bottle, the lubricant might be different but the end result is the same. Seems I never use it on the car!

Thanks a lot,
Kenneth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12240