Topic: 1941 build date help

41SuperDeluxe    -- 08-09-2018 @ 5:43 PM
  Can anyone help decode my 1941 Fords serial #?

Thank you !
John

deluxe40    -- 08-09-2018 @ 7:18 PM
  According to the information I have, 1941 V-8 serial numbers start at 5,896,295 and end at 6,769,034. Subtracting we get 872,739 cars produced. Your car is number 6,602,653, the 706,358th car of the 872,739 produced. That is approximately 81% or 9.7 months into the production year. According to the V-8 Album, the 1941 Ford was introduced in late September of 1940. Assuming about equal production every month (a weak assumption because the war was on), your car would have been produced in June or July of 1941. Assuming I did the math correctly, that is about all the information you can get out of the serial number. Ford didn't start stamping codes that indicate assembly plant, color and interior until 1949.

wrosenkrans    -- 08-10-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  I did the same calculation on my '42 to arrive at a late December date. I then cross-checked that against the window bugs and other little tell-tales which suggested the production date was probably last week of December '41, the last week of regular production. Never know for sure, but probably is pretty close.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

len47merc    -- 08-10-2018 @ 8:53 AM
  John - as deluxe 40 mentioned, the best indicator of when your car was built is the window bugs on your glass. Assuming all the bugs are the same and you have the original glass, or you have a majority of the windows with the same bugs and you may assume them all to be original glass, they will be the best resources to determine build month. If you do not have the '41-'48 Ford Book from the club, post what your bugs' codes are (basically everything you see on them) here on the Forum and one of us will be able to tell you which month (+ 1 month in case it was started at the end of a month and was finished at the start of the next) the car was likely completed in.

Serial numbers can be misleading and can only provide very broad estimations of a car's completion month and even year. I have observed more than one example of cars with serial numbers indicating a prior year of manufacture while the confirmed-original window bugs confirm completion in Jan (and in one case Feb) of the following year.

Steve

42wagon    -- 08-10-2018 @ 2:08 PM
  As we all should know the only engine assembly plant was in Dearborn and that is where the engine serial numbers were stamped. Now some of those engines just went across the street to the Dearborn car assembly plant. Others were packed in box cars and sent to the other assembly plants spread across the country. So in some cases it might have been several weeks before an engine was placed in a car. The serial number only gives you the earliest date that a car could have been assembled.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12224