Topic: 8 BA rear seal leakl

jimbomac    -- 08-09-2018 @ 10:43 AM
  I have a recently ( approx. 800 mi) rebuilt 8 BA engine in a recent frame-off restored 53 Sunliner. This is not the original engine. It was rebuilt by a reputable machine shop. They claim that during break- in on the dyno that there was no rear seal leakage. When it was reinstalled into the car by the restoration shop, they discovered an oil pan leak involving the dipstick tube, were unable to repair it and sourced a used oil pan and replaced the original with it. I happened to see the pan before installation and it had a new, untrimmed, rope seal in place in the rear of the pan. Several months later the car was started for the first time in about a year, and has had a persistent, worsening, rear seal leak ever since. This is far worse than the typical rear seal leakage seen in these engines. The machine shop is glad to deal with it but need the engine pulled. The restoration shop doesn't want to deal with it at all. Does it make sense to pull the pan and check the rope seal in the pan before pulling the entire engine? Suggestions? Thanks!

This message was edited by jimbomac on 8-9-18 @ 10:45 AM

FrankM-RG5    -- 08-11-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  Where are you located? Do you belong to a regional group? I am not sure but maybe someone knows, if they just replaced the bottom half of the seal is it compatible with the upper half. When I did mine the instructions were not clear and I'm still not sure to this day that I installed it correctly but it does not leak much and uses virtually no oil so I leave it alone. I am not sure if or how the top part of the seal can be replaced with the engine in the car but if it can be done I would try and find someone willing to help you go that route. I have a friend trying to get his rear seal in his transmission replaced and no one want to work on these cars. If I could I'd work on them all day because they're easier. Of course your hands get dirtier.

jimbomac    -- 08-11-2018 @ 5:59 PM
  Thanks, Frank. I'm in seacoast NH. There are really no local regional clubs nearby- I'm kind of in this alone. There is a very reputable flathead mechanic about 2 hrs away in Mass. that I'm going to get to pull the pan and go from there. I have a strong suspicion that the lower seal is the culprit here. There are ways to replace the upper seal with the crank in the engine ( and the engine in the car) but I know that that is not the preferable way to do it

This message was edited by jimbomac on 8-11-18 @ 6:03 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12219