Topic: 6 volt to 12 volt

gfstew    -- 08-08-2018 @ 4:59 PM
  I have a 1936 Ford 2 door Sedan with a 48 Ford Flat head engine and just bought a new 6 volt battery and now the generator is not charging. So now is the time to change it over to a 12 volt system?/ I found out that Power master makes a nice Vintage looking one wire Alternator. Any ideal i need to change all bulbs and put a step down voltage on the oil and Gas Gage and also one on the temperature and voltage. and a 12 volt coil .Has anyone done this before any suggestions .A friend of mine said to say money one the one wire Alternator that to find a after market bracket and GM makes a few Alternator .Oh also I need to know any tricks on changing the ground from positive to negative ground

This message was edited by gfstew on 8-8-18 @ 5:30 PM

Sneezer    -- 08-08-2018 @ 6:02 PM
  I have the Powermaster alternator on my car. Does have the appearance of a generator but larger in diameter. Expensive. Produces lots of power ranging from 65 to 90 amps depending on RPM. Motor starts almost instantly when hitting the starter with 12 volts. Downside is that if it fails, where do you get it repaired if on the road. Buying the aftermarket bracket and a one wire GM alternator saves lots of money and if it fails you simple go to an automobile parts store and buy a replacement.

trjford8    -- 08-08-2018 @ 6:26 PM
  The big problem for you is the fan. You can't buy a generic alternator that will accept your fan. Get your generator rebuilt and stay 6 volts. If you have good wiring, the correct size battery cables, a good strong battery , plus a charging system in good shape, there is no need for 12 volts.

trjford8    -- 08-08-2018 @ 6:26 PM
  The big problem for you is the fan. You can't buy a generic alternator that will accept your fan. Get your generator rebuilt and stay 6 volts. If you have good wiring, the correct size battery cables, a good strong battery , plus a charging system in good shape, there is no need for 12 volts.

carcrazy    -- 08-08-2018 @ 9:32 PM
  Changing the car from 6V to 12V is not as difficult as some would have you believe. For the least expensive way to do it and have a car that will stop running when you turn off the key, do the following:
Buy Randy Rundle's "The Official 12-Volt Conversion Guide".
Buy a rebuilt alternator for a 1978 Chevy Camaro with 8-cylinder 350 cu.in. engine and A/C - This is an internally regulated two wire 63 amp alternator.
Buy a DA Plug for your alternator so the engine will shut off when you turn off the ignition switch.
You will have to remove the pulley that came on your alternator and replace it with one of the correct diameter and type for your belt drive system.
Aftermarket alternator pulleys are available for just about any configuration you could have.
Buy an alternator mounting bracket for your engine - these are available from several vendors.
When I did this conversion several years ago I bought a rebuilt alternator from Autozone, part no. DL7127M for about $45 + $10 core charge. If you want to use a brand new alternator, you will have to spend a few more dollars. The results will be well worth your efforts.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 8-8-18 @ 9:42 PM

TomO    -- 08-09-2018 @ 6:29 AM
  As trjford said, fix your 6 volt system and enjoy the car. The problem may be as simple as polarizing the generator.

Did you install the new battery with the POS terminal grounded as it was originally?

If not this could be the cause of your generator failure. If you connected the NEG terminal to ground, reverse the cable connections back to the correct polarity.

If it still doesn't charge, polarize the generator by connecting a jumper wire to the BAT terminal of the cutout mounted on top of the generator and touching the other end to the wire coming out of the generator for a moment.

You might also consider rep[lacing the cutout with a voltage regulator from this vendor:

http://www.funprojects.com/search?querystr=1936&querytype=year

Tom

trjford8    -- 08-09-2018 @ 11:01 AM
  carcrazy, on a '36 Ford the fan is bolted to the generator pulley. No one makes a pulley for an alternator that will have the mounting points for the stock fan. The other problem is the alternator bearing is not heavy duty and will probably not last very long with the weight of the fan.

carcrazy    -- 08-09-2018 @ 12:14 PM
  MAC's Auto Parts offers an Alternator Pulley specifically designed to be used with the factory radiator fan. It is listed for 1932 - 1939 Fords as Part No. 18-10344-B and sells for $58.75. If you are worried about the durability of the alternator front bearing with the fan attached to the alternator shaft, you can use an electric 12V fan on the back side of the radiator instead.

trjford8    -- 08-10-2018 @ 6:52 AM
  Thanks for the info on the fan pulley. I did not realize that one was made for the alternator. I'd be curious to know who has used one and how well it worked and if the alternator bearing could carry the load of the fan.

gfstew    -- 08-13-2018 @ 1:07 PM
  how hard is it to change the ground from posative to negative

TomO    -- 08-14-2018 @ 6:46 AM
  To change from POS ground to NEG ground, you must have the coil converted, replace the cutout and polarize the generator. There is no benefit in doing this.

To convert to 12 volts is much more involved and again there is little benefit in a stock vehicle. It is always better to solve the problem than change the voltage.

I suggest that you contact the Battle Born Regional Group, to see if there is someone near you that can help you with your car.

EM: michael@rowehales.com
PH: 775-720-0871

Tom

BrianCT    -- 09-02-2018 @ 11:23 AM
  Here are a couple of points. If you are going 12 volts consider having you generator converted to 12 v.
Also ,about MACs fan pulley , I bought a fan-mount alternator from MACs 8 years ago. Have only put on about 5000 miles
but no problems.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-02-2018 @ 12:01 PM
  People that understand and fix the generators are scattered around the country. Try giving your general location in a post and ask if there is anyone nearby that is good at fixing generators. Also ask at your local Early Ford V8 Club who members are using to repair generators. Put your general location in your profile, you never know when it is going to be an important part of the question.

My first choice would be to repair the generator. My second choice would be to have an original slightly newer 2 brush generator generator converted to 12 volts. I wouldn't even consider a regular alternator because if I had one I would be embarased to open the hood. The alternators that go inside the generator cases are too expensive for my budget.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-2-18 @ 12:02 PM

kubes40    -- 09-02-2018 @ 1:29 PM
  I'm strongly in the camp of repairing (properly) what ails the car and keeping it 6v. These cars are very dependable in their original form.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12211