Topic: 1942 Gas fill hose

wrosenkrans    -- 08-01-2018 @ 8:50 AM
  Our 42 has developed a gas leak from the rubber fuel fill hose between the fill pipe and tank. I've got the part on order from DC, but are there any tricks I should be aware of? Or is it a simple swap out and tighten the clamps?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

42merc    -- 08-01-2018 @ 2:55 PM
  It's an R&R job.
Just do it.

trjford8    -- 08-02-2018 @ 8:04 AM
  Just for future info if you know the outside diameter of the fill pipe you can buy that hose at your local Napa Auto Parts store or most any other auto parts store.

trjford8    -- 08-02-2018 @ 8:04 AM
  Just for future info if you know the outside diameter of the fill pipe you can buy that hose at your local Napa Auto Parts store or most any other auto parts store.

Sal    -- 08-02-2018 @ 8:44 AM
  Put some lube on the inside of the hose to make it side on to the tank and filler neck easier.

wrosenkrans    -- 08-02-2018 @ 10:43 AM
  Thanks guys, I always check before proceeding - saved myself a lot of headaches that way.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

wrosenkrans    -- 08-17-2018 @ 11:53 AM
  Got the part from Dennis Carpenter and picked yesterday to do the work - what a chore that turned out to be.

The old hose was completely shot, but seemed to have been attached to the tank while the tank was out of the car. No way to get a screwdriver or wrench on the pipe clamp. Was able to get the clamp off the fuel pipe itself by removing the nut holding the pipe bracket to the body, but finally resorted to trying to gently pry the old hose off the tank fitting. Fortunately it popped off pretty easily since the remnants of the old hose were largely gone.

So, put some lube on the inside of the new hose and slid it onto the fuel pipe then maneuvered the pipe into position and was able to slide the new hose onto the tank fitting, after quite a bit of putzing with it. After considerably more putzing, the bracket fitting to attach the pipe to the body lines up, but I can't actually get the bracket to slide over the bolt to get a nut on it. Finally gave up and tightened the new hose clamps (in such a way I can actually get to them) and left it alone.

The hole in the bracket lines up with the bolt, but I just can't get it to slide onto the bolt to nut it up. Am I missing something? Seems like it doesn't effect the drivability of the car, and has got to be a big improvement in the attachment of the fuel pipe to the tank, but how critical is it to get that bracket attached to the body?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

trjford8    -- 08-18-2018 @ 2:05 PM
  The bracket serves two purposes. One it keeps the neck from vibrating and possibly causing a rattle and it also anchors the neck so the gas pump hose/nozzle does not push down too hard on the neck. It may also serve as a ground between the metal neck and the metal fill nozzle. It sounds like your fill pipe may not be down far enough into the rubber connector hose. Try loosening the two clamps that connect the hose to the neck and the tank. Then push the bracket towards the anchor point. This may give you enough flex to anchor the fill tube and then re-tighten the clamps.

wrosenkrans    -- 08-20-2018 @ 1:25 PM
  Had another go at it today and finally success! The stud was literally right at the hole in the bracket, so I loosened the pipe clamps, placed the tip of a large screwdriver just above the hole, gave a stout push, and on she went. Nutted it down and tightened the pipe clamps, positioned so I could get a screwdriver on them this time. Sometimes you just have to back off a day or so and things will work.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

This message was edited by wrosenkrans on 8-20-18 @ 1:28 PM

trjford8    -- 08-20-2018 @ 4:53 PM
  Glad to hear you "gotter done".

trjford8    -- 08-20-2018 @ 4:53 PM
  Glad to hear you "gotter done".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12180