Topic: 1950 Ford Fender Skirts & Generator

OldCoach    -- 07-31-2018 @ 5:53 PM
  Two questions about 1950 Ford Custom Sedan:

First- How do you remove the rear fender skirts on a 1950 Ford?

Second- I recently installed a refurbished generator. The generator seems to be charging the battery adequately. The dash voltmeter indicates that the battery is being charged. When I drive for more than about 15 minutes with the head lights on, the voltmeter needle moves to the left of the midpoint, indicating that the battery is not charging properly. After turning the engine off, I've checked the voltage on the battery and it reads 6.30 volts just as it normally does. My brother-in-law tells me that a 68 year voltmeter can't be expected to read accurately and that the readings I saw was normal for that model car.

A side note to this issue- I recently installed a refurbished 6 volt, vacuum tubed, Ford radio in the car. While driving for any length of time with the radio playing the voltmeter reads normally.

Kens 36    -- 08-01-2018 @ 9:02 AM
  Coach,

If you have original fender skirts or an accurate reproduction, there is a lever under the skirt that points toward the front of the car. Push up and inward on the lever until it releases - this might be a little hard on the fingers. Swing the lever toward the middle and pull it down to retract it from the top of the skirt. Tilt the skirt out and work the two tabs on the bottom down and toward the tire, then remove.

The generator sounds normal. Don't worry about it if the battery is staying above 6 volts.

Ken

JT Ford    -- 08-01-2018 @ 9:09 AM
  To remove the skirts there is a steel rod about 3/16" in diameter that is hooked on the inside lip of the skirt in about the middle of the skirt. If you lay down and look up under you can see the rod. Sometimes you might need a screwdriver to unhook it. After unhooking it pull it straight out at you and pull is down, which releashs it from the fender, tip the skirt out at the top . Each end has a small steel strap hooked into the lower fender opening. Don't know what to tell you about your charging. With lights on and idling through town the generator just don't keep up. The radio will pull 5 amps also. It don't take long out on the highway for the battery to recharge.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12177