Topic: 160 degree themostats

sarahcecelia    -- 07-28-2018 @ 1:31 PM
  Where can 160 thermostats be puchased for a 1950 V8 flathead??

carcrazy    -- 07-28-2018 @ 2:34 PM
  MAC's Auto Parts has them. They are listed under part # 1BA-8575-A and sell for $7.49 each. Of course you will need two. Their toll free number is 1-877-283-6920.

MG    -- 07-28-2018 @ 3:52 PM
  Bob Shewman's 160's are what I'm running in my '34. Bob advertises in the V8 Times magazine. His info is as follows:

Robert Shewman
PO Box 163
Kimberton, PA 19442
E-Mail gadgiteer@aol.com

Why did you decide on 160 degree thermostats? I've heard so many pros and cons on what degree thermostats (160 vs. 180+) are best used in our flatheads, I don't know what to think anymore. Most say that 160's are too cold for the flathead engine. I would think that the climate where you reside has at least some impact which temp stat to use. - warmer climate 160 vs. colder climate 180+. I live in a warmer climate myself. The pros and cons I've heard never mention climate. Most guys who run the hotter stats are concerned about sludge buildup. I'm of the opinion that with modern detergent oils (I run Mobil 1 15W50 myself) and the amount most of us drive our cars, sludge is of little concern. If 180+ thermostats are considered the optimum, why are 160's even made? I mean, we're given a choice for a reason aren't we? I sure would like to get a consensus on this topic....

mfirth    -- 07-29-2018 @ 4:15 AM
  Well, here's my experience. My 8ba ran hotter with 160's than it does with 180's. Here in Ohio, the hottest it ever got is 190, and only at idle. I vote 180, works for me. mike

len47merc    -- 07-29-2018 @ 12:12 PM
  Plenty of quality info on this Forum on the purpose and function of thermostats if you search. Ultimately you will find thermostats do not control how hot or cold your engine runs - it will always find it's 'happy place' in moderate-to-hot ambient conditions. Running a 160 thermostat will not make your engine run more cool than a 180, and in typical late spring thru summer and early fall temps a 180 will not make your engine run any hotter than it would with a 160. All they do is control the speed at which your engine warms up to its normal operating temp for a given ambient condition, and/or will ensure the car reaches its designed operating temp in cold conditions.

I have tested 155s, 160s, 177s and 180s in the same 59AB engine/car all in 95 plus degrees and measured the coolant temp with a calibrated thermocouple while driving the car at 55 mph for 30 mins, then stop-n-go in multiple July 4th parades (a bit proud of the engineering to make this work without leaks) using a 4# cap. A bit anal I know but I like DATA to speak for itself. Results: The car always ran 185-194 degrees at speed and 185-195 in stop-n-go. 185 read just above 3/4 on the stock temp gauge, 195 halfway between 3/4 & hot.

Also, tested the same in winter and found the heater with 155s would not generate adequate heat for my tastes in 20-40 degree weather, and when driving around town the car would only run at 160 degrees or so - basically the cooling system was doing its job. Ultimately found that running the original Buck Rogers 177s that came in the car worked best for year-round use - simply kept the heater doors closed in summer (never did shut the water valve off - wanted to keep water flowing through-out the system to prevent deposits in the heater).

Running the 177s also ensured the car got up to temp swiftly, particularly in winter. The 155s would open so soon in winter that the car would never come up to its designed operating temp.

Fwiw.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-29-18 @ 12:14 PM

MG    -- 07-29-2018 @ 5:09 PM
  len47merc said: "Ultimately you will find thermostats do not control how hot or cold your engine runs - it will always find it's 'happy place' in moderate-to-hot ambient conditions."....

After cleaning out an excessive amount of casting sand and other crud from the block water jacket, having the radiator re-cored and the installation of high flow water pumps, my '34 will very seldom heat up to above 130 degrees - this, without thermostats. I think most would agree that 130 is too cold for a flathead so I installed the 160 thermostats mentioned in my above post. Now, my engine seldom heats above 160 degrees - this, in ambient temperatures of 80-85 degrees. So, if thermostats "do not control how hot or cold your engine runs", how do you explain this increase in my '34's running temperature after installation of stats? What am I missing here? I can agree that stats do not/cannot control how 'cold' your engine runs. Is 160 still too cold for this flathead of mine?....

This message was edited by MG on 7-29-18 @ 11:41 PM

len47merc    -- 07-30-2018 @ 7:17 AM
  MG - the focus of my e-mail was on warm-to-hot ambient conditions and that in 95+ degree temps a flathead will not run any cooler with 160 degree stats than it will with 180 degree stats.

Note I also stated that in colder weather my experience and data shows that a properly and efficiently operating cooling system may not allow a flathead to reach proper operating temp without adequately rated stats - I ran 177s year round to enhance warm-up time and ensure adequate temp from the heater during winter.

My language could have been clearer. Certainly in extremely cold temps (e.g., sub-zero) a flathead may never reach proper operating temp regardless of the stat rating. To that end, I stand on my assertion and supporting data that stats do not control how warm or cool a flathead will run in HOT weather, only how quickly the engine will warm up. In cold weather - yes, you can ensure the engine reaches proper operating temp by choosing the correct rating stat and/or reducing airflow across/through the radiator. Others with more experience can weigh in here - from my reading and 62-year old memory recall these engines were designed to operate in the 180-200 degree range.

EDIT: AND, I will further qualify my earlier response and that here as being limited to original, stock configurations. Modified systems, non-stock radiators, electrical cooling fans, etc., need not apply.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-30-18 @ 7:37 AM

MG    -- 07-30-2018 @ 12:17 PM
  Here's a tip from C&G Ford Parts > "Tech Tip: Due to the flathead engine's tendency to run hot, we always recommend using 160 degree thermostats."

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12164