Topic: 1936 Ford steering

Bob Oh    -- 07-27-2018 @ 8:03 AM
  I think I know why my 36 steers hard. The bearing for the king pin is on top of the axle and not between the axle and the lower spindle bushing. This is wrong , early and later cars had the bearing on the bottom of the axle. Has anyone come up with a fix? Bob

cliftford    -- 07-27-2018 @ 4:39 PM
  Remove the king pins and install the bearings correctly

40 Coupe    -- 07-28-2018 @ 7:50 AM
  There is no room for the bearing between the lower spindle and the bottom of the axle. The bearing is supposed to be at the top of the upper spindle ear and under the head of the king pin.

Bob Oh    -- 07-28-2018 @ 2:35 PM
  40 Coupe you are correct,all the info I have looked at confirms that 35 - 36 and some early cars had the bearing on the top of the axle. In 37 and later the bearing was moved to the bottom witch seems to me the logical place because the weight of car would be supported by the bearing thus smother movement. Cars like mine with the bearing on top must be steering on the shims that may be on the bottom of the axle or the weight of car is being held up buy the tapered king pin locking bolt. I am going to remove the drag link to see if there is much resistance when I turn the wheels manually with and without weight. Can someone enlighten me. Am I correct in my thinking and can the car be made to steer a little easier?

3w2    -- 07-28-2018 @ 2:57 PM
  With respect, because the king pin is firmly attached to the axle, all of the weight of the car is borne by the bearing at the top of the pin. It was not just 'some' cars had the bearing at the top, but rather all Model As and all '32s through '36s. While you may have a bad spindle bearing, it is more likely that your steering effort problems lie elsewhere.

Bob Oh    -- 07-28-2018 @ 3:49 PM
  3w2 Thanks, [ Problems lie elswhere ] I might know something after I drop the drag link. Bob

This message was edited by Bob Oh on 7-28-18 @ 3:50 PM

Bob Oh    -- 07-31-2018 @ 10:54 AM
  OK I dropped the drag link and the spindles turn right and left with almost no effort ,there is no slop in ether king pin and all four bushings take grease properly. My guess at this point the culprit is the steering box which will need a rebuild. I am still going to use the corn head grease in the interim, and just see if steering gets any easier even buy a small amount . One last question. Should a person be able to move / turn the steering wheel buy pushing and pulling on the drag link ?

bo8109b    -- 07-31-2018 @ 11:20 AM
  Pushing and pulling on the drag link will move the steering wheel if you have tremendous strength. However if you have the front end off the floor with a wheel mounted, one can push and pull the wheel moving the steering wheel lock to lock with about 10# effort.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12158