Topic: Whitewalls turning brown Coker tires

Bruce Woods    -- 07-26-2018 @ 1:46 PM
  Purchased 4 new Firestone tires made by Coker tires for my 1934 Ford 5 window Coupe. After less then 3 months whitewalls turned brown. Anyone else had such problem? Can make them white again after 20 minute or more scrubbing each tire. Old tires were 20 years old and never turned brown. Whitewalls on 1935 Ford pickup are 20 years old parked next to 1934 Coupe and they have no problem in climate control garage. Thanks Bruce Woods

JayChicago    -- 07-26-2018 @ 7:49 PM
  I'm curious to hear what Coker had to say about this.

TomO    -- 07-27-2018 @ 6:44 AM
  Bruce, you are not alone. Many people have problems with the whitewalls turning yellow or brown. Like Jay said, contact Coker and see what they have to say.

This is not just a Coker problem as I had a set of Firestone made in New Zealand and I could never keep those white. The current set of Coker Firestones on my Mercury are bright white and are very easy to clean. The General tires on my Lincoln need Bob Hope's Pepsodent to remove the yellow.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-27-18 @ 6:45 AM

wrosenkrans    -- 07-27-2018 @ 8:41 AM
  Lots of problems with tires turning brown with the Model T and Model A guys as well, including my '30 Town Sedan which has one tire that turns brown almost while I watch it. One of the T guys actually did some experiments which showed it wasn't the tire, but the tube that causing the browning.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

3w2    -- 07-27-2018 @ 4:40 PM
  A high quality WSW will have a membrane between the black and white side wall to prevent the bleed through that causes yellowing. Not much can be done after the fact to alleviate the bleed through.

hannaboy@pacbell.net    -- 07-28-2018 @ 1:56 PM
  That's why I stick to blackwall tires.. none of that nonsense

1934 Ford    -- 08-02-2018 @ 6:28 AM
  Bruce,
I know people who have had good luck exchanging their tires with Coker. Be persistent, but nice and reasonable. What happens to cause the problem is a bleed of black thru the white sidewall from the host tire. Not a new or universal problem, but it happens sometimes.

1934 Ford's since 1972

russ40standard    -- 08-08-2018 @ 1:35 PM
  Had the same problem with my Shay A model whitewalls. The 20-year-old WW being replaced didn't have the problem. Horrible browning for the first couple of years. Different cleaners used in conjunction with steel wool. Now they have settled down and easily cleaned by Duragloss 701 or Bleche-white. Bytheway, the blackwall michelin tires on my Prius did the same browning, but it's not too noticeable on a blackwall. Info I got from Michelin dealer was that it was excreting oil used in the manufacturing process. I just purchased a 1940 Ford Standard with 15" Coker WW radials. Time will tell as to how these whitewalls age.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12154