Topic: 1936 Ford wiring question

Bob Oh    -- 07-20-2018 @ 6:48 PM
  In the EFV8CA book on the back pages is a wiring diagram for a 36 Ford and it shows a line drawing of a lighting switch. My question arises from determining what side of the switch disk am I looking at. Am I looking at the contact side or am I looking at the wire connection side. It shows the switch rotator as a dashed line triangle and I just can't get my head around which side of the switch I'm looking at. There is a index slot on the out side edge of the wire contact disk, not on the drawing. If I know the location that may help. Thanks Bob

kirkstad    -- 07-21-2018 @ 4:58 AM
  I believe you are looking at the contact side. Sitting in the car you turn the light switch clockwise to turn on the parking lights. If you look at the triangle in the diagram, for the triangle to go clockwise to the park position, you would be looking at the contact side.Picture yourself behind the wheel turning the switch and being able to see what the triangle is doing at the same time.Hope this helps.
Frank

Bob Oh    -- 07-21-2018 @ 9:38 AM
  Frank. Thanks for the response. That will help me ferret out what may be a couple of misplaced wires by the P.O. I did find switch section to be bent and insides look as if a screw driver was used to try and remove the movable contact. I think another switch is in order. I would settle for a good used original If i can find one. Bob

40 Coupe    -- 07-21-2018 @ 10:04 AM
  Ford made a small mistake on the wiring diagram and carried over the mistake to several years. The "Wiring Diagram " in question has the mistake. Between the Park and the Low position is the Off position. The switch should be wired as below.

Bob Oh    -- 07-21-2018 @ 4:27 PM
  40 Coupe, Thank you very much. I can now get a better grasp on my switch problem given the fact that I'm electrically challenged. Just a few more questions, please. 1, Your drawing says electrical terminal wiring end. Does this mean exactly what it says that I'm looking at what would be the wire connections, not the contacts. If so, I'm set to go in a couple of days to see if I can straighten my switch out. 2, can I ignore the statements about the 37, 39 and just use exclusively the top picture in the drawing? 3, in the right hand margin you have TRB. Should I know what that means? Again, many thanks. Bob

40 Coupe    -- 07-22-2018 @ 4:47 AM
  diagram is the wiring side of the block and not the contact side. TRB are my initials. You can ignore the 37-39 statement. In those years a floor dimmer switch was used to switch to the country headlight beam.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12140