Topic: 35 Ford 21 Stud Motor - How Much?

PeterC    -- 05-08-2010 @ 6:10 PM
  Would appreciate your thoughts here - I just pulled from an my original 35 Ford Coupe a 21 stud Ford Flathead motor complete from air cleaner to oil pan that was re-manufactured and installed in the late 70's - has a re-manufactured tag and number on it. It appears to have only a few hundred miles of use before it was properly stored. It runs perfectly and even the clutch and pressure plate are as new (marked re-manufactured as well). It has cast heads with original starter, gen, fan, carb, exhaust manifolds etc. I want to sell it but am uncertain as to what the value might be. I am familiar with willing seller/will buyer etc. Any thoughts on a range of value is appreciated

tierod    -- 05-08-2010 @ 8:18 PM
  Why would you want to sell such a gem??

1934 Ford    -- 05-09-2010 @ 7:47 AM
  Peter,
First question is, Why was it removed from the 35 ford if it was such a good engine?
If you're making a street rod or using a later engine I hope you made recordings both video and audio of this motor running and driving. otherwise there is is a $400-$500 chance for the buyer, that he's buying somebody eles's problems.
I think if you had found a buyer before you pulled it, you could double those figures or more.
My spare engine sits in waiting for that dreaded ay that one of my cars might need it. I drove the car it came out off before I bought it. As the clock ticks by
the value of that engine is going down too.

PeterC    -- 05-09-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  Removed the engine this week to make way for a high performance flathead and added a Columbia 2speed so I could enjoy driving the car more. I will most probably will just store the subject engine as a spare but the likelihood of it going back in is .01% under my watch. Was just trying to weigh the current / future value to determine whether to hold or sell.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-09-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  I would keep the engine,just prepare it for storage,it does not take much room, and maybe one day you will sell the car an can give the new owner options in the purchase.and every day there are less and less orginal engines to be bought,
also check if it is the original engine that came with the car,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,,,,, 37RAGTOPMAN

1934 Ford    -- 05-09-2010 @ 2:34 PM
  37 Ragtop Man,
What should be done for long term storage of these engines? I've always wondered if having the babbitt
sit still for years hurt it or anthing else.
Anybody have suggestions to properly pickel a V8?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-09-2010 @ 5:15 PM
  put fresh oil in the pan, oil the cylinders, and turn over once a month or so,and keep covered. and out of moisture,
not in a damp basement or garage,maybe put in a few large garbage bags, and seal from the top with a string,so you can get to the crankshaft nut to turn over the engine,maybe even on a home made wooden engine stand,made out of 2x8s, just high enough so the pan does not hit the ground,and you can get at the nut to turn it over,
I am sure a few other will weigh in with more suggestions,

lightflyer1    -- 05-09-2010 @ 7:08 PM
  Are you near Texas? We might make a deal. I know of a 36 coupe that could use this.

lightflyer1    -- 05-09-2010 @ 7:08 PM
  Are you near Texas? We might make a deal. I know of a 36 coupe that could use this.

Chuck    -- 05-09-2010 @ 8:46 PM
  I have a 35 Ford panel truck that I need an engine for. Would be interested in your engine if you decide on a price. Where are you located?

PeterC    -- 05-10-2010 @ 8:15 PM
  I'm in Connectict

PeterC    -- 05-10-2010 @ 8:16 PM
  I'm in Connecticut

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1214