Topic: Borg Warner OD

jimbomac    -- 07-20-2018 @ 7:36 AM
  I've been looking for someone to repair the OD in my 53 Sunliner - I live in coastal NH and the closest repair shop for an OD is Roxbury Gearbox, an advertiser in Hemmings, in Roxbury, VT. Does anybody know of a competent OD/transmission repair service within 100 mi or so of coastal, NH? Boston area, southern ME? Thanks!

carcrazy    -- 07-20-2018 @ 12:50 PM
  You may be able to make the required repairs to get the O/D system functioning yourself. The system consists of several components that are wired together which can be checked individually to determine the source of the problem. You can purchase "The Official Guide To The Borg-Warner R-10 and R-11 Overdrive" from Randy Rundle at www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com. You can call him to order the book at 785-632-3450. He also is a source for most of the parts required to make the O/D system work once you have determined the source of the problem.

jimbomac    -- 07-20-2018 @ 1:36 PM
  Thanks, Carcrazy- I didn't go into the details but the electricals are all ok, when the relay clicks and the solenoid tries to engage, there is a loud chattering noise from the OD and it won't engage- the lock in/out cable is all the way in to the stop on the tail shaft ( per Mac VanPelt). Something is preventing the solenoid shaft from engaging. It may b the fact that my restoration shop put extremely heavy gear oil in for a brief period, this has been drained but may still b the culprit. In any event I need someone to remove the OD and go over it. Thanks!

carcrazy    -- 07-20-2018 @ 2:53 PM
  It could just be that the overdrive solenoid shaft is not engaged in the pawl. I have had to remove the shaft from a new solenoid to change the index angle to get it to engage the pawl properly. Also your new solenoid may have a shaft which is too short to engage the pawl. Some station wagons and convertibles require a longer solenoid shaft due to extra crossmembers on the frame. When mounting the solenoid to the transmission it will be necessary to rotate the solenoid slightly (about 45 to 90 degrees) to enable the flange of the solenoid to fit snugly on the side of the transmission housing. Be sure the wiring in your O/D system is of at least 14 gauge or larger for a 6V system.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12139