Topic: Radiator Schroud and thermastats

gunner    -- 07-16-2018 @ 6:28 AM
  Where can I get a radiator shroud for my 1940 Ford V8. Did they come with one? Also what thermostat should I run. I am having a little heat problem on these 95 degree days driving only in town stop and go traffic. I am thinking a 160 degree thermostat?

gunner

len47merc    -- 07-16-2018 @ 6:52 AM
  You may find the comments and information in the following of interest:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11001&keywords=thermostat

Dovetailing with the comments on overall thermostat effect (pace of warm-up, heater temp, etc., vs. o/a engine temp control) is the following comment from kubes40 (EFV8's unquestioned authority on '40's):

"I run 155* stats in all my flathead's. Not only do they get the engine to heat up quicker, they restrict the water flow through the radiator a bit so it (the water) actually has time for the radiator to do its job adequately. That is, dissipate the heat from the water..."

You will see my comments in the linked discussion thread.

Steve

TomO    -- 07-16-2018 @ 6:57 AM
  Gunner, a 160 thermostat should work fine for you. The thermostat sets the bottom limit of when the coolant circulates in the cooling system. This helps the engine reach operating temperature quickly, helping to prevent sludge deposits.

I really don't have any solution to fix your problem, just some suggsetions that may help.

Radiator shrouds were not an option on the 1940 Ford made cars, so you will have to make your own. I don't know if the shroud will eliminate your problem.

On 95 degree days, you need a cooling system that is in perfect condition. That means a clean block, clean radiator with the correct capacity, a fan that moves the right amount of air and water pumps that move the correct amount of water.

You can check your radiator with a infrared thermometer for a temperature drop of 15 F drop from top to bottom by measuring where the hoses meet the radiator. If you don't have that drop, your radiator needs cleaning.

If you do have that drop, your cooling system may not have enough coolant capacity, the water pumps are not moving enough water or the heat load exceeds design specifications. Measure the coolant capacity for the 22 quarts by completely draining the system and refilling. Sediment in the block or radiator can reduce the cooling capacity.

If you have enough coolant, make sure that your water pumps are working correctly. The heat load can be higher than the radiator can handle due to a larger bore or poor coolant distribution. A 4 lb pressure cap along with Skip's 3 lb pressure relief valve in the overflow can help with coolant distribution.

Good luck

Tom

gunner    -- 07-20-2018 @ 5:39 AM
  Thank You for your help. Bill Dietz

gunner

JayChicago    -- 07-21-2018 @ 5:02 PM
  gunner

I am thinking you may not necessarily have any issues with your cooling system. You wrote:"I am having a little heat problem on these 95 degree days driving only in town stop and go traffic." Stop and go traffic on a 95 degree day is a pretty extreme condition. I suspect that under those conditions your car would have run hot even when new.

I was surprised to learn that the temperature gauge in these cars shows fully hot at only 200-205 degrees. While that is obviously running hot, I think not so hot as to do any damage for a short duration of driving. And if it cools down when you get out of traffic and get ram air moving through the radiator, then you probably don't have something to worry about.

fortyford    -- 07-22-2018 @ 6:36 AM
  Gunner,do you have a upper air deflector installed on your car?This will help and most certainly will not hurt!Par t # 01A-8327-A or 01A-8327-B depending if your car is deluxe or standard.

JayChicago    -- 07-23-2018 @ 12:22 PM
  fortyford

Note from his original post gunner is only having a cooling problem at stop-and-go speed, when the radiator depends on the fan to pull some air through the radiator. I can understand how that air deflector could direct more ram air through the radiator at high speed. But I can't see how that deflector could do anything to help the fan pull more air through the radiator.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-28-2018 @ 1:28 PM
  A "Shroud" ensures that the fan only pulls air only through the radiator, and not from any other outside air, which is what one wants to cool the coolant. It "Funnels" it. Ford wasn't that advanced until in the 70's?, when the shroud was installed on every car they built.I wish they had one in the 50's for those EXTRA HOT stop and go rides!Oh well!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12128