Topic: 1936 Ford Sedan Oil Pan Question

markfrommaine    -- 05-08-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  Can the oil pan be removed without having to lift engine from chassis? While trying to replace front main seal, I can't lower the oil pan to remove it. The oil pan seems to be hung up on the front cross member. Do I have to raise the engine?

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  I am told it can be removed but the front of the engine has to be raised from it`s usual position and the crank may have to be rotated so the counterweights clear. before raising the engine I would disconnect the engined radius rods from the frame and the two bolts for the rear mount to the frame as well as all the others necessary. remove radiator hoses and the drag link. jack up the frame and let the front end hang down but support it somewhat so as not to stress shock links. Lots of work. Good Luck

markfrommaine    -- 05-09-2010 @ 2:16 PM
  I thought that is what I would have to do. Thanks for the encouragement.

sturgis 39    -- 05-10-2010 @ 7:47 PM
  A FRIEND TOLD ME WHEN HE WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL HE TRIED TO REMOVE THE OIL PAN. HIS DAD TOLD HIM TO ROTATE THE ENGINE CRANK AND THE PAN FELL OFF. HE HAD WORKED ON IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AFTER SCHOOL AND COULD NOT GET IT TO COME OFF.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-13-2010 @ 6:09 AM
  hi
a thing you want to do is take the number 1 spark plug out, rotate the engine till the piston is at the top,
[ listen to the compression, put your finger over the hole when air stops coming out you have reached the top ],this will position the crank so PAN will clear,
you will have to remove the front motor mount bolts and raise the engine,remove the exhaust cross over pipe, and bottom water house,I would also remove the top hoses and anything else that would hamper raising the motor,
hope this helps, KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN,Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-13-10 @ 3:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1210