Topic: another flywheel question

JohnA    -- 07-07-2018 @ 8:51 AM
  looking to check my flywheel for runout while engine still in car with dial gauge.When I remove starter can I crank engine by removing spark plugs and belts and turn by hand??.Also looking for ideas.

cliftford    -- 07-07-2018 @ 12:03 PM
  If you can get to it, put a socket on the front crank pulley bolt. Depending on the year of your car and engine you may have to remove the fan or lower panel to get to it.

cliftford    -- 07-07-2018 @ 12:04 PM
  If you can get to it, put a socket on the front crank pulley bolt. Depending on the year of your car and engine you may have to remove the fan or lower panel to get to it.

cliftford    -- 07-07-2018 @ 1:06 PM

cliftford    -- 07-07-2018 @ 1:06 PM

JohnA    -- 07-07-2018 @ 2:27 PM
  Thanks cliftord,thanks cliftord thanks cliftord.and thanks again cliftord.

cliftford    -- 07-07-2018 @ 4:11 PM
  Sorry abut the repeats, John, this is a problem I'm trying to solve.

pauls39coupe    -- 07-07-2018 @ 5:40 PM
  Before you spend a lot of energy checking the flywheel/clutch, be sure your engine does not just have a random miss.
One of our members pulled the engine on his 1942 coupe convinced the flywheel was at fault ( out of balance or had a run out problem. After having the whole mess trued and balanced the vibration remained.
We hooked up a vacuum gage (cheap) and a Sun Scope (not cheap). The scope proved the electrical system was doing its job. The vacuum gage however detected a sticking valve. More detective work proved one valve had burned/ warped causing the engine to shudder just like it was out of balance.
After replacing several bad valves the engine was smooth enough that a cup of coffee placed on the air cleaner barely had a ripple.
Sometimes a bad plug or defective plug wire will cause the same type of vibration.
Do the easy stuff first.

JohnA    -- 07-08-2018 @ 9:27 AM
  the reason I"m thinking flywheel is that the vibration wasn"t there before we pulled engine and put new ring on flywheel.And me not beening super mechanical and just slapping clutch together,yea! that why I"m leaning that way, I have looked at other possible reasons.tks Johna

flathead4rd    -- 07-08-2018 @ 10:37 AM
  Two things I was taught by my old autoshop teacher back in the 50's. When removing the flywheel, punch mark it's location in reference to the crank shaft. Also mark the pressure plate in it's relation to the flywheel. It's important to re-assemble them in the same position they came off. If you installed a new clutch and pressure plate then I recommend you have them both balanced as a unit.

JohnA    -- 07-08-2018 @ 4:33 PM
  can I do that or go to machine shop??

flathead4rd    -- 07-09-2018 @ 8:41 AM
  Take it to a machine shop that can do it.

JohnA    -- 07-09-2018 @ 9:16 AM
  Thank you

woodiewagon46    -- 07-09-2018 @ 10:03 AM
  Has you car ever had a new clutch and pressure plate installed. The reason I am asking is that if it was a balanced set, you might not have put the pressure plate back in the same position. Clifford, it's not you, I get the same thing when I reply. For some reason it replies several times.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-09-2018 @ 10:05 AM
  Clifford, and of course now it didn't repeat itself!

cliftford    -- 07-09-2018 @ 10:54 AM
  I have reported this to the web administrator and he is working on it,

JohnA    -- 07-09-2018 @ 3:19 PM
  Yes,and new ring gear.

GK1918    -- 07-10-2018 @ 1:23 AM
  I still think its a pressure plate balance problem. My new plate was out
about 50 grams. Also putting a dial indicator through the starter hole
may not work cause that side isn't precision ground like the face side. sam

len47merc    -- 07-10-2018 @ 4:16 AM
  cliftford/all - from personal experience, if you select 'refresh' or hit the back arrow (to the previous page) immediately after placing a post and/or reply you will definitely get a double (or even more) post, especially depending upon what you do after arriving at a previous page. Once I started 'going back' without hitting the back arrow, and simply used the mouse to select 'Forum', or 'EFV-8 Club Forum', or 'General Ford Discussion', or, in this case, 'another flywheel question', etc., all the multiple post issues were resolved. Works for me anyway - Fwiw.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-10-18 @ 4:16 AM

JohnA    -- 07-10-2018 @ 6:48 AM
  Good point

JohnA    -- 07-10-2018 @ 6:49 AM
  Good point .Sam

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12099