Topic: FRONT ALIGNMENT CHALLENGE

autoluke    -- 07-06-2018 @ 3:23 AM
  And now the final challenge on the '41
Local front end shops tell me that it is not possible to align the front wheels with their laser machine, leaving me with new components and erratic steering.

A new Lares assembly, king pin ,etc , provides reasonable handling, but can't bring it to perfect alignment using only my visual acuity.

Suggestions ?

carcrazy    -- 07-06-2018 @ 7:55 AM
  Have you taken the car to a shop that works on heavy trucks with solid front axles? They should be able to properly set the alignment of your front suspension.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-06-2018 @ 8:43 AM
  Most modern shops won't have the equipment to adjust camber. That, as car crazy suggests, will have to go to a shop that is capable of bending your axle into spec. As for caster, I can't see why they cannot do it. I would suspect that the alignment people aren't familiar with early Ford front ends and how to do the job. I had mine done at a shop that employs an older guy from a local car club, so he knows our type of cars.

CharlieStephens    -- 07-06-2018 @ 8:45 AM
  duplicate

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-6-18 @ 8:51 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 07-06-2018 @ 8:50 AM
  duplicate

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-6-18 @ 8:52 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 07-06-2018 @ 8:50 AM
  duplicate

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-6-18 @ 8:52 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 07-06-2018 @ 8:51 AM
  In addition to looking for truck shops if you included your general location in your post (and your profile) someone might recommend a shop that could do the alignment. Also try contacting local Model A and Early Ford V8 clubs and asking where they take their Fords with solid axles.

Charlie Stephens

autoluke    -- 07-07-2018 @ 9:05 AM
  THE SAGA CONTINUES

Just noticed that the new drag ling actually rubs against the tie rod, and the left turn is much more limited than when turning right.

Possible that the shop installed the wrong drag link ??

pauls39coupe    -- 07-07-2018 @ 5:20 PM
  The 1941 drag link is quite different from the 35-40 or the 42-46. You should have # 11A-3306 per the Mac's catalog. It will have a sharp "Z" or "S" bend in the end that is not adjustable. See the Mac's catalog pg 23 for a photo.
As suggested try a truck alignment shop to set the front end.
Paul

Drbrown    -- 07-07-2018 @ 7:02 PM
  I had my '47 done using laser equipment at my local Sears Automotive unit. Fortunately the tech was an older fellow who loved the car and knew what he was doing. I gave him the data he needed to feed into his computer. The axle didn't need any bending and he made other adjustments as needed. I have bias-ply tires and the car drives/steers fine.

Drbrown    -- 07-07-2018 @ 7:03 PM
  I had my '47 done using laser equipment at my local Sears Automotive unit. Fortunately the tech was an older fellow who loved the car and knew what he was doing. I gave him the data he needed to feed into his computer. The axle didn't need any bending and he made other adjustments as needed. I have bias-ply tires and the car drives/steers fine.

Drbrown    -- 07-07-2018 @ 7:04 PM

autoluke    -- 07-12-2018 @ 11:22 AM
  Thank you pauls39

Just received the proper drag link..much different from the one installed by the shop.

Now to begin again.

mrtexas    -- 07-13-2018 @ 12:15 PM
  The only thing easily adjusted is the toe in and that is an easy diy job.

Castor/camber requires bending the axle.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12098