Topic: 1947 Ford Heater

Banjodoc@xplornet.ca    -- 07-04-2018 @ 10:58 AM
  I am retiring a 1947 Mercury 114 which is a Canadian built car that is a ford with mercury badging. I cannot find good information about how to wire the heater. I have 2 in reasonable shape but cannot get the heater motor running .
Dean Sandham Calgary

TomO    -- 07-05-2018 @ 9:32 AM
  Can you please post a photo of the heater and switch? If it is an original Ford heater and switch, thewires are color coded and so is the switch.

Tom

juergen    -- 07-07-2018 @ 6:30 AM
  If original, you should have 4 wires (2 pairs) to your motor. Using an ohmmeter, find the two pairs. Tie together two wires with one from each pair. This puts the field and armature wires in series. Now apply 6 volts across the other two wires. The motor should run.

If it doesn't, you have a problem with the wiring or the motor (sometimes the brushes are stuck). If the motor runs, then the problem is in your switch (could be incorrect connections to the switch). I have usually had to take apart the switch (carefully so as not to break the tabs) and clean up the brass to make good connections. Good luck.

This message was edited by juergen on 7-7-18 @ 6:31 AM

Banjodoc@xplornet.ca    -- 07-07-2018 @ 1:34 PM
  Thanks for the great help in your replies . As requested here is the photo the heater and switch.

TomO    -- 07-08-2018 @ 11:08 AM
  The heater is a 46-47 heater with a reversible motor. The switch is an aftermarket switch made for a single direction motor.

Here is how I identify the wires:

There are 4 wires coming from the motor. The yellow and the green wires come from the field windings and the red and brown wires come from the brushes. If your colors have faded so they all look yellow, I use an ohm meter to make an initial guess as to which wires are from the brushes and which wires are from the field and then I use a battery hooked up to a switch to determine which of the wires used for forward and reverse direction of the motor.

Usually you can see a little of the green cast on the green wire and the red color on the red wire. If you connect your ohm meter between the green wire and the yellow wire, you will have near zero ohms resistance. Any other wire will show an open condition. The reading will not vary when you rotate the motor shaft. When you connect the red and brown wires, you will have more resistance than the field connections showed and it will vary slightly as you turn the motor.

Three of the wires from the motor will be attached to the switch according to the colored dots next to the terminals on the switch, the green wire will be attached to ground and the terminal with the black dot will be attached to a 6 volt source. The red and brown wires control the direction of the motor. When the switch is in the HI Direct position the fan should be blowing air through the heater core. On 1940 heaters this means that the motor is turning counter clockwise.

Tom

Banjodoc@xplornet.ca    -- 07-08-2018 @ 7:15 PM
  Many Thanks for the help. Here on the Alberta Plains you can need a heater ny month of the year

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12091