Topic: Trico windshield washer unit

jyakel    -- 07-03-2018 @ 6:58 AM
  Gentlemen,
My '50 Ford Fordor custom apparently came from the factory with the optional Trico windshield washer unit. Or, it was an after market add on, not sure. The rest of the car appears to be optioned with additional lights; trunk, glove compartment, under dash, back up lights, OD tranny, etc, etc.

Anyway, my question is this: how do the vacuum lines connect to the Trico windshield washer unit? I cannot find a picture of the connections anywhere.
The Trico windshield washer system consists of: the washer bottle and vacuum can on top (see picture included with this post), a foot pedal on the floor just above the bright light switch, and the windshield sprayer nozzle at the center/base of the windshield.

Here is what happens; with the engine running, when I depress the foot pedal to activate the sprayer nothing happens. (Foot pedal unit could be defective) but when I start the car and when I shut off the car the unit sprays the windows for about 30 seconds--annoying and embarrassing.

1. I took my best guess at how the vacuum lines connected to the Trico unit but I could be way off here.
2. The previous owner of my '50 Ford changed out the vacuum wipers to electric wipers (I wish he had not done that, but it is what it is.)
3. The engine is a flathead Mercury 8CM, not the original Ford flathead 8BA, and the engine color is not 'Mercury correct'. So look past that and please give me your good advice.
Thank you,
John

TomO    -- 07-03-2018 @ 7:17 AM
  The unit that you have should have the vacuum hose connected to the dash button, not the foot pedal. The foot pedal type, uses the pressure from the foot pedal to spray the windshield. Page 203 of the 49-51 Shop manual gives a brief description of the 2 washer systems available.

Tom

jyakel    -- 07-03-2018 @ 7:53 AM
  Tom,
Thanks. I will research the shop manual as per your citing. I don't think I have a dash button for the washer unit??
John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12086