Topic: 37 gas tank removal

Zero    -- 07-02-2018 @ 5:55 AM
  New to the club and can us some guidance. Recently purchased a 37 mod78 slantback sedan which had been sitting for four years. Gas tank is full of rust. what would be the best way to drop the tank? It looks like it's sitting on top of the frame. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

trjford8    -- 07-02-2018 @ 6:26 AM
  Do you have the early tank with the screw in neck or the late tank with the rubber connecter to the neck?

Zero    -- 07-02-2018 @ 8:59 AM
  Thanks for getting back to me. It has the threaded neck into the tank. I've heard some horror stories about dropping the tank.

TonyM    -- 07-03-2018 @ 6:09 AM
  It is not that difficult. The hard part is removing the early fuel filler neck (threaded sleeve type). Once the fuel filler neck is removed, disconnect the fuel line and wire to sender. Then disconnect the tail pipe hangar and move the tail pipe to the side. Remove the bolts holding the tank to the frame. Push the tank up and to the right and yank down on the left. The tank should come right down. I had no problem getting the tank out. It may take some muscle and some pushing and shoving, but it should come right down. Good Luck.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 7-3-18 @ 6:11 AM

Zero    -- 07-03-2018 @ 10:15 AM
  Tony thanks the tips. I'll start spraying the neck today and let that work for a couple of days. Is that a two piece neck where one fits into the other? Or does it just look that way?

Again thanks.

John

alanwoodieman    -- 07-03-2018 @ 7:16 PM
  the neck itself is one piece but there is a coller that is threaded. this is what holds the neck into the tank. if you reuse the tank or even a new one make sure you use a new lead seal ring in the tank. the coller has a series of holes around it and if you know some one with spanner wrenches it will make the job easier

alanwoodieman    -- 07-03-2018 @ 7:17 PM
  the neck itself is one piece but there is a coller that is threaded. this is what holds the neck into the tank. if you reuse the tank or even a new one make sure you use a new lead seal ring in the tank. the coller has a series of holes around it and if you know some one with spanner wrenches it will make the job easier

Zero    -- 07-05-2018 @ 2:29 PM
  Thanks for all your help. This weekend will be the beginning of my tank removal episode. Looked at it last night and I need to get the filler neck out from the fender down to the collar. It's loose but it's stubborn. I'll let you know the results come Monday.

John

Zero    -- 07-08-2018 @ 7:07 PM
  The tank came out today. As Tony mentioned the filler neck was the hardest part. The spanner wrench was a great tip. Alan, thanks for that.

This tank has been out once before because there is a big patch on the top. From the looks of all the crud on the bottom of the tank, it could have been a DIY cleaning and seal job gone bad. I don't think it's worth trying to save. The cost of getting it cleaned and sealed is almost the same as a new tank.
Any recommendations for a replacement tank?

Again, thanks for all your help and tips.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12084