Topic: 1940 ford door lock removal

Gallichio    -- 06-22-2018 @ 8:15 AM
  Does anyone know how to remove a door lock of a a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe? I have a brand new lock but cant figure how to get the old lock out. Any help would be appreciated.

4dFordSC    -- 06-22-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  There's an Allen screw in the door edge next to the lock. It secures the lock to a metal strap inside the door. They're often corroded with age and can be a bear to remove without breaking the strap. I finally drilled mine out and replaced it with a slotted screw.

Gallichio    -- 06-22-2018 @ 8:47 AM
  Hello and thanks, I can't move with an Allen tool so I will try to drill it out.
Do I drill out the Allen screw on the side of the door or the lock

Thank you
Michael Gallichio

This message was edited by Gallichio on 6-22-18 @ 8:48 AM

kubes40    -- 06-22-2018 @ 9:27 AM
  Michael,
The set screw must be drilled out directly though the center of the screw. As I recall it is a #10. You'll need to use a smaller drill bit than the pitch diameter of the screw. Be forewarned, the screw resides within a sheet metal "tube". That being the case, if you go off center even a bit, you'll tear in to the tube and will create even more work (repairs) for yourself.

I would suggest rather than drilling to remove the door panel and apply heat to the "tube". It won't require much as again, it is very thin.
As a side note of sorts, many of the authentic set screws were slotted vs. the more familiar hex socket many of us have grown up with. Be certain of what you are working with....

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Gallichio    -- 06-22-2018 @ 6:05 PM
  Thanks Mike for the info.

Thank you
Michael Gallichio

trjford8    -- 06-23-2018 @ 6:59 AM
  You might also try squirting some penetrant into the tube. Try some PB Blaster or Kroil. Those cans come with a spray tube that allows you to direct the penetrant into a specific location. Let it soak for a day or two and see if it helps to get the set screw loose.

TomO    -- 06-23-2018 @ 7:11 AM
  Patience is the key to removing the lock. I would continue to use penetrating oil and heat to remove the screw, rather than drilling it.

The original door lock used the same key as the ignition, and sometimes just lubricating the lock with graphite will free up the tumbler so that they will work again. If your ignition key is worn, you may have to jiggle it in the door lock to get it to work.

Tom

Gallichio    -- 06-23-2018 @ 5:03 PM
  Hi Tom, and thanks everyone for all the information. I could not get the hardened lock pin out. I tried everything and nothing worked. Looks like the previous owner tried to drill it out and gave up. I ended up drilling the entire lock out and used a Dremel tool to grind the lock pin. I install the new lock. Then I drilled and a small hole next to the original lock pin hole and used a Phillips head screw to secure it. I also had to cut the shaft of the lock because it was to long. I can now lock my car.
Thanks everyone.

Thank you
Michael Gallichio

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12042