Topic: 1946 Coupe Differential Oil Level

51woodie    -- 06-21-2018 @ 8:15 AM
  I was in Mac's, in Lockport looking around, and read the label on a quart of 600W gear oil. One of the instructions said, "The housing should not be more than one third full, or approximately one and one half inches below the oil fill plug". And goes on to say that most rear wheel oil leaks is the result of poor seals, bearings or overfilling. I have just repacked the bearings and installed new wheel seals. In a search of the posts, I didn't see any reference to oil levels. Is this oil level for older years? Does it apply to a '46 banjo diff? My lube of choice would be 85-140. Comments?

TomO    -- 06-21-2018 @ 8:54 AM
  Your owners manual give the capacity and weight of lubricant to use. My 1940 differential takes 2 1/2 pints to fill. That brings the lubricant to slightly below the fill plug.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 06-21-2018 @ 9:04 AM
  I have always filled the differential until it starts to flow out. I always thought that the fill plug, was the fill line. I never heard what Mac's is suggesting. If that is the case, then I better start draining a few differentials.

42wagon    -- 06-21-2018 @ 10:21 AM
  The owner's manual for my 42 says to fill with 90 weight gear oil to the level of the filler plug. Can't lay my hands on the info for a Model A but I've always used the filler plug as a gauge of the level.

That 600 weight oil is way to heavy for use in a 46 in any case.

supereal    -- 06-21-2018 @ 11:48 AM
  Don't use the 600 weight "oil" in anything. It is an asphaltic base material that was used in the Model A and T years because the gear boxes always leaked badly. The Model A transmissions usually leaked on the rear side where the shafts ends were exposed. There was a sort of cover sold to catch the drips before they could mark your floor or driveway. The only use we have found is the steering box. It sits next to the exhaust manifold where the heat can run regular gear oil to a rock like condition. Some prefer to use STP in that gearbox. As for filling, it is usual to add oil to the lower lip of the filler hole. Don't overfill or the oil will probably end up on the rear brake shoes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12039