Topic: Pictures from the Grand National Meet?

1934 Ford    -- 06-16-2018 @ 5:16 PM
  Anybody take any pictures to share here?

1934 Ford's since 1972

nelsb01    -- 06-17-2018 @ 3:07 PM
  Some of us are still there! Enjoying the Greenfield Village Motor Muster. EXTREMELY hot today and that cut into attendance at the Motor Muster. About 15 members showed up -- not like Saturday when we had over 50! Enjoyed the presentation on how the V-8 was developed. Especially liked the 'Past in Review'.
Thanks to all that showed up. The swap meet with Charlie and Alice was great. Lots of interesting stuff -- including all new old parts from Dennis Carpenter.
National Meets are a big part of the Early Ford V-8 Club-- let's have many more!!!
Gee, I still have 619 miles and a ferry ride left to go. For those that were here, glad you made it home safe.
Sorry, won't have pictures until I return home--- forgot the camera cable.

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-17-2018 @ 5:53 PM
  I forgot my camera cable too. By forgot I mean I forgot where I packed it. Found it last night. Thanks to all who volunteered to make this a great show.

1934 Ford    -- 06-19-2018 @ 7:11 PM
  I had to miss the Meet even tho registered. (Bride got sick and needed surgery) Posting a few pictures would be appreciated, it's a long wait for the Next V8 Times.

1934 Ford's since 1972

VT/JeffH    -- 06-23-2018 @ 6:24 PM
  A very generous FordBarn member, stangblue, shared links to his photo albums. I hope he doesn't mind me spreading the word.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246364

As far as I can tell, you will not need to be a member of either FordBarn, or Facebook to see pictures (I use a desktop PC).

Another user added this tip: "As soon as you click on each individual link, be ready to click on the picture that comes up that has a +10, or a +6, etc. You will then be able to flick thru the pictures using the RIGHT or LEFT arrows. No FACEBOOK here, either!"

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-23-18 @ 6:31 PM

1934 Ford    -- 06-24-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  What a great photo summary! Thanks Jeff H. & Craig for sharing all those photos.
While I generally don't do "parking lot" shows. I really wanted to go to this one.
Looked like a good representation of all the Early Ford V8's. Maybe next time, we'll both be healthy.
Thanks again,
Paul

1934 Ford's since 1972

JM    -- 06-26-2018 @ 2:16 PM
  I always enjoy attending these EFV-8 Club meets, and especially the Grand National Meets. A big THANK YOU to everyone who had a hand in putting this one together. I took many pictures during the seven days there, and have posted some on Fordbarn. Will probably post more there and maybe on Facebook. If I could post more than one picture at a time here, I would have posted them here, but I can post the links to my pictures so folks here can view them. In addition to the GNM, we attended Motor Muster, the Gilmore Museum, and then to Auburn to see progress made on the addition to the Foundation Museum. Prior to arriving in Dearborn, we visited the Crawford Auto-Aviation Musium in Cleveland, Ohio. Definitely a great time seeing all the nice early Ford V8's and meeting up with so many new and old V8ing friends. Looking forward to 2019 Auburn CNM, and driving my 35 fordor to the 2020 WNM in Alamosa, CO .

John

nelsb01    -- 06-26-2018 @ 3:31 PM
  Here's my favorite Grand National memory --- getting interviewed by Matt Anderson, Curator of Transportation at The Henry Ford, during the Greenfield Village Motor Muster. What an honor.

nelsb01    -- 06-26-2018 @ 3:34 PM
  OK.....that wasn't actually during the Grand National, it was after.
Then this is --- participating in the Behind the Scenes Tour of the Benson Ford Research Library and actually getting to see Henry Ford's employee badge. It isn't always about the cars.

VT/JeffH    -- 06-27-2018 @ 7:50 AM
  While neslb01 was in The Benson Ford Research Center, he was seen flipping through photos on a display terminal, maybe they were Rotunda photos. He had this one up on the screen and commented that this was a Zephyr prototype. Sadly I only got this screen grab, and didn't get a shot of him at the controls of the terminal.

Edit to add: Thanks for the HF employee badge pic. I missed seeing that item on the afternoon run-through of BFRC! Please tell me it wasn't on the same table as the Clyde Barrow letter, which means it was right under my nose and I overlooked that gem.

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-27-18 @ 7:54 AM

VT/JeffH    -- 06-27-2018 @ 8:05 AM
  Because I'm way too heavily invested in PC's, his was one of my geek-out moments.

This black hunk of wire would have been used to make a group of computers into a Local Area Network. The red box and grey wire would go to a workstation. Before the internet, LAN's had to be worked out, and this artifact represents some of the very earliest moments of something we are all using right now.

I believe the box is called a vampire tap because it has a spike that drives through the black cable to tap the common signal going through the black one.

Our guide/conservator said this was recently collected from the Palo Alto Research Lab, or PARC, a legendary development center!

-VT/JeffH

nelsb01    -- 06-27-2018 @ 12:36 PM
  Jeff,
HF employee badge was in the first drawer below the Clyde Barrow letter..............one of the staff had to open it for you.
And next to it was HF's driver's license --- like he ever drove after the Quadricycle.

rdt52flthd    -- 06-27-2018 @ 1:22 PM
  Actually the picture of the prototype was called the Sterkenburg, and was John Tjaarda's concept built by Briggs in 1933-34. Edsel Ford used it to develop the Zephyr, but was afraid of the front end sloped off too much like the Airflow. See references to it in my articles in V8 Times regarding Ford Styling.

VT/JeffH    -- 06-27-2018 @ 1:29 PM
  Hi rtd52flthd, I'd like to follow up on your suggestion, can you point me to a range of V-8 Times issues I might look into for your articles?

Edit to add: I was paraphrasing nelsb01, I don't want it to seem he was giving incorrect info. I guarantee the only words that stuck in my head were Zephyr and prototype.

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-27-18 @ 1:35 PM

rdt52flthd    -- 06-28-2018 @ 2:15 PM
  The articles about Ford Styling during the Flathead era were in 3 parts appearing in consecutive issues Nov/Dec 2017, Jan/Feb 2018 and Mar/Apr 2018.

rdt52flthd    -- 06-28-2018 @ 2:15 PM
  The articles about Ford Styling during the Flathead era were in 3 parts appearing in consecutive issues Nov/Dec 2017, Jan/Feb 2018 and Mar/Apr 2018.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12019