Topic: '47 Ford Temp Sensor

louganser    -- 05-07-2010 @ 1:49 PM
  The two terminals on the left temp sensor on my '47 Ford were loose, so I purchased a NOS unit. While disconnecting the two wires, the terminals nearly came out of the sensor, so I removed them. I sprayed the threads of the unit with solvent. I was unable to slip a 3/4" socket over the top of the unit to remove it, so I used a 3/4" open end wrench. Being that the sensor is made of brass, it twisted the head out of shape. I then tried an adjustable wrench and also tried to tap the top with a hammer, to no avail, It's stuck tight! I fear I may have to remove the head to remove the sensor. Any helpful tips on how to remove the sensor? Thanks!

Lou G

47Fordor    -- 05-08-2010 @ 7:03 AM
  Well, the good news as that it's the old one, that's garbage anyway, so you don't have to worry about ruining it. Beco Lube or PB Blast are both excellent penetrating oils: shoot it again with some. Now that the sensor is already rounded, your best bet is a pair of vice-grips. I prefer a pair with the rounded jaws.

JMHO,

Chris

This message was edited by 47Fordor on 5-8-10 @ 7:03 AM

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  remove the insides of the sender and then crush the threaded portion once you get enought clearance it should thread out.

supereal    -- 05-08-2010 @ 8:23 AM
  When removing any threaded part that seems stuck, try to turn it clockwise (the tightening direction) first, than work it the other direction. This will often break the part loose. It is likely that someone applied some sort of sealer to the sender, as brass usually doesn't stick tight. The sender with the two terminals doesn't need to be grounded, so some Teflon tape or pipe sealer will be OK. The single terminal sender does need a ground, however, so tape can't be used. Pipe thread is supposed to seal as it tightens, but sometimes, in old cast iron with worn threads, it doesn't. We chase the threads with a pipe tap to assure a good connection, and apply only a very light bit of sealer.

louganser    -- 05-08-2010 @ 10:10 AM
  Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Lou G

louganser    -- 05-08-2010 @ 10:10 AM
  Thanks for the tip!

Lou G

louganser    -- 05-08-2010 @ 3:26 PM
  Thanks!

Lou G

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1201