Topic: Jumps out of gear

gunner    -- 06-15-2018 @ 2:52 AM
  My 1940 Ford that I recently purchased has a floor shift 3 speed from 1939. ( So they told me) It jumps out of 2nd. gear every time I let off the gas and rarely out of 3rd. I see in the pack of spare parts is a new little kit that contains a couple of little balls and spring. The dealer told me it was to help with this problem. What say you? If it is are they hard to put in. Maybe I need a shop book. Any recommendations?

gunner

40 Coupe    -- 06-15-2018 @ 4:13 AM
  Jumping out of 2nd gear is usually a sign the transmission needs to be rebuilt, due to excessive 2nd gear end play. Before jumping in on a large project I suggest you get Mac VanPelt book on the transmission. Check out his web site. It is possible the shift top needs new springs and detent balls (2 / E). His book can assist in rebuilding the shift top and help you identify what you have. He has a large inventory of new and used parts. It is possible the shift top rebuild will cure the problem.

gunner    -- 06-16-2018 @ 4:13 PM
  Thank you for all of your help.

gunner

PeterFord    -- 06-26-2018 @ 5:22 AM
  probably worn synchronizer ring. Standard problem.

kubes40    -- 06-26-2018 @ 6:51 AM
  Gunner, That little pack of balls and springs is a "band aid" of sorts. It contains stronger springs for the (shift lever) detent. It may help a little, but won't really fix the true issue.
That kit in effect does what leaving your hand on the shift lever does - perhaps not as effectively.
You can install that kit easily. Only need to remove the shift tower assembly and swap out the stock springs and balls.

To properly repair the real cause of this, the transmission will require a thorough inspection and repair as necessary.

I agree with 40COUPE in that this is usually an issue with excessive end play (clearance) and while inexpensive to repair, there's a bit of labor involved.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12009