Topic: How to fix Grille ribs

westgateblvd    -- 06-14-2018 @ 12:39 PM
  Hi. I will buy a 1937 Ford Grille. When I do get one I bet there will be dents, and some bent ribs. How do I straighten the ribs, and care for the bends in the ribs?? Thanks

juergen    -- 06-14-2018 @ 2:18 PM
  Get a duck bill vice grip, somewhere around 4 inches. You can straighten a lot of the teeth by just clamping on one side of the teeth at a time. Also you can straighten the curvature of the teeth by clamping it and then striking the high side. The vice grip will help retain the flat space.

But if a lot are bent in a common area, you may have to cut them out, straighten them off line with the vice grip and then weld them in place. This is because the near by teeth may hinder straightening out just one at a time.

With the teeth clamped with a vice grip, you can also widen the V of the teeth with a flat bladed screw driver or narrow the V with a needle nose pliers. Take your time and be patient.

westgateblvd    -- 06-27-2018 @ 1:14 PM
  Came along pretty good today. I almost have the dent in the center out. Used a dull cold chissle, a screw driver, and a penny. I even started to take the twist out of it by straightening out the ribs, and pounding out that center some more. I won't need to cut out the lower section of the grille. I do have a question though. I never had the right bolts for the Grille. What size bolt do I need to hold the Grille to the fenders?? I know I need 8 of them. The nuts are already on the Grille. I just got 8 1/4 - 20 bolts. They fit, but I don't think those are the right ones.. Thanks.. Al

westgateblvd    -- 07-06-2018 @ 5:49 PM
  The bend in the center section is so bad that when I started to take that bend out it started pulling on those bent bars. About 5 of those bars are broken on the end. I have a replacement lower section coming. It is straight above the second hole above the crank hole. I am going to bolt that section onto the lower part of the fenders. Sand the edges, and lower the top section into place and line it up with the other section and bolt it on as well. Then tack the two sections together so the two of them are straight. Then take the whole works off, and weld from the back side. Both are plain steel. Once every thing is all sanded I will prime and paint it. Then install it back on the car.

westgateblvd    -- 07-15-2018 @ 6:14 PM
  Fixed..

TomO    -- 07-16-2018 @ 7:20 AM
  Looks Good. All of your work paid off.

Tom

nelsb01    -- 07-17-2018 @ 9:47 AM
  Gee and what appears today in the email file --- Bob Drake has your new 1937 Grille.
Now you know what your labor was worth......1850 for the painted grille and 2250 for the chrome one.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12005