Topic: Brakes-wheel cylinders

36clubcab    -- 05-06-2010 @ 11:49 AM
  Looking for the best wheel cylinders. Rebuilt brakes and system 2 years ago. Wheel cylinders are now corroded and leaking! all the right stuff was accomplished during rebuild---just cheap cylinders. Some web sites offer
cylinders with a "stainless steel sleeve". does anyone have experience with MTCar products. I want to check them out but they don't answer their phone. Any advice would be helpful!!
Sal

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-06-2010 @ 1:05 PM
  36clubcab
Sounds like you used silacone brake fluid.
I used it on 2 cars and had problems with both,and replaced everything just like it said in instructions,
found it no good for me
If your brake cylinders rebuildable, you can just buy 4 brake cylinder kits,
NAPA sells a jelly or grease for when you rebuild your cylinders, you apply this behind the boots, so moisture does not corrode the brake cylinder bores,keeps the moisture out,
I use a VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID, about $5.00 a quart,
you can try EARLY FORD V8 in NY,STATE,
or have you cylinders lined with sleeves,you will only do it once,,,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN,,,,

supereal    -- 05-06-2010 @ 2:55 PM
  We don't rebuild wheel cylinders anymore, as most of the bores have pits that can't be honed out, and the pistons are almost always corroded. C&G has good ones for about $50 a wheel. I wouldn't spend the big money to have them sleeved. If you go to silicone fluid, you will need to replace the master cylinder, too, and flush all the lines with alcohol, as DOT5 will not mix with DOT3. We prefer to use DOT3 and replace the fluid every couple of years by bleeding the system until the fluid runs clear. Even with careful bleeding with expensive silicone, almost always you will have to settle for a somewhat spongy pedal, and a leaky brake switch. While you are at it, be sure to replace the brake springs, if they are old.

TomO    -- 05-07-2010 @ 8:00 AM
  Your local parts dealer should be able to supply you with quality brake wheel cylinders. NAPA P/N are UP 8264, UP 8265, UP 8266, and UP 8267 starting with the left front and ending with the right rear. Rock Auto has the Raybestos and Dorman brands for less money.

Dot 5 (silicone) brake fluid does not cause rust in the wheel cylinders. I have had it in my brake system since 1976 and the wheel cylinders looked like new inside, when I put new shoes on this Spring. The slightly spongy pedal is a problem for some people, and others have had stop light switch problems.

If you use Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid, only use a fresh can and buy it from a store that sells a lot of it. An open can will absorb quite a bit of water in a month and there have been reports of water in the plastic cans now being sold. You also should flush the system frequently, every other year or at the most every 3rd year to eliminate the moisture in the system.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1199