Topic: 46/48 Heater Template

RoHo    -- 06-08-2018 @ 9:16 AM
  I have been told that there is a Heater template showing where to drill holes in the firewall for a 46 to 48 Ford for the 3 door type heater. Can you please tell me how a copy of this template can be acquired.

supereal    -- 06-21-2018 @ 12:19 PM
  I have never seen one, probably because the heaters were a dealer installed item. The heaters were discussed in Appendix "A" in the Club's wonderful 1941-48 book. Photos in the book show the heater installed just to the right of the center of the firewall. When I installed a heater in my '47, I was careful to be sure the two pipes from the heater would clear the engine so the hoses could be attached. After carefully measuring the position of the pipes I made a cardboard pattern and drilled small pilot holes in the firewall, then checked for clearance before making holes large enough to accommodate the pipes. If you don't have the book, get one. It will tell you all you need to know if you have a 41-48 Ford.

GK1918    -- 06-22-2018 @ 4:43 AM
  My 46 never had a heater. So I bought a three door with switch wires
and I restored it. Made a cardboard template of the heater I couldn't
find a template on line but searched online interior photos and all I
found was they all are slightly off to the right of center line (not much)
then best thing ever invented a step drill awesome. Bought the lower
radiator heater nipple from Napa. I guess the offset is clearing the
oil fill pipe...

4dFordSC    -- 06-22-2018 @ 8:38 AM
  You may be thinking of the template for the 1940 hot water heater which is available.

51woodie    -- 06-23-2018 @ 9:46 AM
  RoHo
I just happens that I have the heater out of my '46 right now, and could take some measurements for you if you have not found anything so far. I don't know how many variations there were of Ford or aftermarket heaters are out there, but mine has EATON stamped in the backplate that mounts to the firewall. When I had the heater disassembled, I found a label on the fan motor (nonstock I believe) that identified it as made by Dayton Electric Mfg. Chicago, 6V, Model 2M196.

supereal    -- 06-25-2018 @ 2:50 PM
  Got your message regarding punch marks on the firewall. There were none on my '47. I can't speak for other years. The only punch marks I have seen were made to install the optional "fresh air" heater. A large punch mark was made high on the fire wall for a connection to a duct. None of my other old Fords had marks for the water pipes, that I recall.

hannaboy@pacbell.net    -- 06-27-2018 @ 1:34 PM
  The heater in my 47 is an Arvin.. I have it out now.. repainted & cleaned up... but I can't seem to find a new 12 volt fan motor to replace the 6 volt one.. any suggestions? 1/4 inch shaft, 2 1/4 inch distance between each mounting bolt

coupeman    -- 06-30-2018 @ 6:35 AM
  try Grainger or McMaster Carr

sarahcecelia    -- 06-30-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  12 volt fan motors are in most parts catologues I have,the 6 volt ones that are hard to find. Is your car converted to 12 volts??

Regards, Steve Lee

hannaboy@pacbell.net    -- 06-30-2018 @ 4:15 PM
  Yes.. I found a motor from NAPA..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11988