Topic: Cover Photo May/June V8 Times

Bob in CT    -- 06-07-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  The cover photo of the May/June V8 Times that I received shows a beautiful '40 Sedan Delivery. I am confused by the fact that car has a Standard hood and grille. I thought that all '40 Sedan Deliveries had the DeLuxe nose. I know that the '41 Sedan delivery used a '40 Standard hood and grille with unique hood trim. Were some '40s made as Standards?

This message was edited by Bob in CT on 6-7-18 @ 8:03 AM

kubes40    -- 06-07-2018 @ 7:56 AM
  You are not the first to notice this. In fact, I've received numerous inquiries in this regard.
You are correct in your thinking that ALL 1940 Ford sedan deliveries were Deluxe models.
This cover car "restoration story" is whimsical. It could never have happened as to restore means to bring back to it's original condition / appearance. Since this particular vehicle was never manufactured by Ford, a "restoration" was never a possibility.

Others, including myself, had noted the "standard" dash and steering wheel, the '39 (or earlier) floor mounted shift lever, dual exhaust, "standard" (chrome?) grille, etc, etc.

Yeah, a nice looking "creation" - a certain mixture of various years and personal modifications. However, not a vehicle that should have been placed on the cover of a club magazine devoted to the restoration and preservation of our beloved flathead Fords.

It is my understanding that all "cover car" photographs (as of a few years ago)were supposed to be reviewed by the board of directors. Directors? Yes? No?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-7-18 @ 9:39 AM

1934 Ford    -- 06-07-2018 @ 9:32 AM
  Good catch, I never would have noticed that. Still a nice looking truck
in an antique look. Suits me that it didn't have a small block Chevy engine and mag wheels.
My only 40 ford restoration was a pickup, with reproduction Deluxe grill.

1934 Ford's since 1972

40topless    -- 06-07-2018 @ 11:53 AM
  I have a 41 delivery. Its titled as a 40 Delivery. Does anybody know when they started making the 41 Delivery? By change does anyone have a picture of the cover photo I can see?

deluxe40    -- 06-08-2018 @ 10:38 AM
  The new '41 Fords were introduced in September of 1940, as noted in the introduction to the 1941-48 Ford Book. The V-8 Album shows that 4,846 were produced. Given that the '41 Sedan Delivery was made up of many parts previously designed for the 1940 Fords, one might expect them to have been available from the beginning of the model year.

Here's another Sedan Delivery that includes some unauthorized parts.

deluxe40    -- 06-08-2018 @ 3:28 PM
  I was thinking I had heard about this issue before so I called my friend, Charles Wells, and he told me that he had owned a 1940 Sedan Delivery in the early nineties and that it was a Standard. He wrote a letter to the V-8 Times editor that was published in the Nov/Dec, 1994, issue. In the letter he noted that the serial number on the car started with "54-" rather than "18-", indicating that it came with the V8-60 engine. Further, all of the interior components such as the dash, door handles and window frames were Standard, suggesting the car was not a just a Deluxe with the front clip changed. Additional research indicated that 722 1940 Sedan Deliveries were made with the 60 hp engine and that all V-8 60 cars were Standard, rather than Deluxe models. Can it be that Ford has thrown us another curve?

kubes40    -- 06-08-2018 @ 7:44 PM
  Your friend was given erroneous information back in the 90's.

Also, Ford built a number of Deluxe models with the 60HP engine including, believe it or not, convertibles.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1940 Tom    -- 06-08-2018 @ 8:38 PM
  I have a very old copy of a 2 page original fold out advertising brochure that 's entitled " 1940 Ford V-8 Trucks and Commercial cars". If my copy was any older, it would be written in hieroglyphics. I have determined that it is still available in Bob Drake's catalog for $10.00. It is not available through the V8 Club.

Anyway, the brochure has illustrations of all the Ford truck models available in 1940, all the way up to the 134" C.O.E wheelbase big trucks.. The ONLY illustration of ANY truck model having a Deluxe trim was the Sedan Delivery. No Ford V8 Sedan Delivery model was shown.

Now then, do we accept the illustrations in a 78 year old advertising brochure as gospel? I would think not.

I love the Sedan Deliveries, but I simply can't believe that Ford would not offer "Mr-Struggling-Small-Business-Owner" with a less expensive Sedan Delivery alternative to the Deluxe model. Most business owners were still trying to climb out of the Depression in 1940, and needed any cost savings break they could get.

Tom

1940 Tom    -- 06-08-2018 @ 8:49 PM
  Brochure advertisement attached.

kubes40    -- 06-09-2018 @ 6:27 AM
  Sorry Tom,
Ford did not offer a 1940 sedan delivery in the "standard" series.
Your theory sounds good on its surface. However, one must remember that Ford was not in to manufacturing "custom" vehicles. The logistics of making what you suggest would be a nightmare.

I have complete documentation of all 1940 Fords built (sans large trucks) and NO so called "standard" sedan deliveries were built.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 06-09-2018 @ 6:31 AM
  Deluxe40,
I have heard this "well, I got the car way back in (fill in the date) and that's how the car was. It was never altered". Um, sure thing.

Unfortunately, these cars went through a period when they were virtually worth the scr*p metal price. The ones that survived more often than not, were modified, "fixed up", etc. In other words there was much more emphasis on keeping a car on the road or simply personalizing it.

Then, years later, some guy "discovers" this "rare" car.

At least in this case, no such car was discovered... Not in 1940, not in 1994.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 06-09-2018 @ 8:32 AM
  The 40 dealer book only shows a Deluxe Sedan Delivery, the Body Parts catalog only shows the Deluxe Sedan Delivery and the 1940 Price lists, only show the Deluxe Sedan Delivery, so I doubt the authenticity of any US sold sedan delivery without the Deluxe trim.

The sedan delivery was marketed to upscale businesses that delivered their merchandise in upscale neighborhoods where trucks were restricted.

In Oct of 1939 the price of an 85 Hp sedan delivery was $705, the panel delivery was $690. The 60 HP versions sold for $690 and $675. So the "Mr-Struggling-Small-Business-Owner" had a choice for $15. This was about 3 days of average salary in 1939. He could also buy a used vehicle.

Tom

1940 Tom    -- 06-09-2018 @ 9:20 AM
  Good Morning, Mike and Tom---

Many thanks to the both of you for the additional info on the Sedan Deliveries.

I sincerely appreciate your responses.

Have a good weekend.

Tom

deluxe40    -- 06-09-2018 @ 10:31 AM
  Thanks to all for the comments and documentation references. If I understand, the conclusion is that one could buy a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with the 60 HP engine for $690 (a $15 reduction compared to the 85 HP version). Further, being a 60 HP version these deliveries were assigned the "54-" prefix in their serial number. Consequently, the car in the 1994 picture is likely to be a Deluxe 60 HP Sedan Delivery that has been modified with a "standard" hood and grill. Do any of the documents show how many such cars were built? The car with the "54-" serial number still exists and the owner would probably like to know.

kubes40    -- 06-09-2018 @ 2:04 PM
  The "54" prefix was to be applied to all vehicles equipped with the 60HP engine. I do have records of how many per model and respective engine were built per month / per assembly plant.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 06-10-2018 @ 2:30 PM
  Since I live in California the possibility exists that this '40 is in fact a '41 sedan delivery due to how California registered vehicles at the time. California titled cars by the year they were sold in those days, so if it was sold in '40 it was titled as a '40. It may be a '41 sedan delivery and since it had a 54 prefix in the serial number it was obviously a V-8 60 vehicle. It's known that Ford tried to use up parts on commercial vehicles and on the V-8 60s they may have used left over '40 parts thereby using the 40 standard type hood molding and latch mechanism on a '41 model. On the pickups Ford did not change the upper and lower latch systems until the spring of 1941 when they came out with the 6 cylinder motor. I'm sure that the sedan deliveries made the change at the same time. There's not a lot of good information out there on the commercial Fords, so I would say much is left to speculation on the cover car.
I saw this sedan delivery about a year and a half ago and I will say that the quality and detail of workmanship on it is second to none. The owner did all the work himself.

kubes40    -- 06-10-2018 @ 4:40 PM
  I think a lot of speculation has gone in to what this car is. The bottom line? It is NOT a car Ford built. And while yes, it appears to be a very nice car it is not what is purported to be. A nice mixture of parts and a certain nice job refinishing this vehicle but again, by simple definition it is not a restoration.
And, to think Ford was "using up" floor shift transmissions in '41 is quite the stretch.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 06-11-2018 @ 6:38 AM
  I don't believe that I said that Ford used up the floor shift transmissions. My comments were directed to the hood, grille, and latch mechanism and those items only.

40topless    -- 06-11-2018 @ 9:39 AM
  Good comments on deliveries. My is dear to me. My dad got this 41 in 1973. He paid $300 for it. I was 6 months old at the time. Still primered red and flathead powered.

kubes40    -- 06-11-2018 @ 10:46 AM
  I did not imply that you'd mentioned floor shifts. You did however, suggest Ford was using up "old parts".

As a side note, I think it's a shame that we as members can't offer Jerry photos worthy of the cover better than modifieds.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37 Coupe    -- 06-11-2018 @ 1:32 PM
  The argument of what is original and factory built or supplied reminds me of an argumentative issue a car friend of mine always brings up. He bought his 1936 Ford coupe in I think 1962 and it has or had 15" wheels on it,he swears they are 1936 Ford factory because they were the same color as the car,the grey tan called Folkstone grey later I think. I don't believe it because I am sure I read somewhere mayby older V8 Times that they were aftermarket in the early fifties when 16" tires were hard to find.I think Kelsey Hayes did make them.Lots of stock car drivers used them on '36-'39 Fords. So anyone could have and would have painted them the body color not necessarily Ford factory. It also had hydrauliv brakes and a hot rod engine in it also when he bought it but for some reason he wants the 15" wheels to be correct original. I am usually wrong so mayby so.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 6-12-18 @ 4:59 AM

BUCKAWHO    -- 06-11-2018 @ 2:22 PM
  Hi...I'll tell y'all one thing....I'd sure make room in my barn for it !!! BT

MG    -- 06-13-2018 @ 10:01 AM
  While reading the latest edition of the V8 Times I was drawn to the advertisement on page 13 for Joe's Antique Auto Parts. Curious to know if the Sedan Delivery pictured in the ad is correct....

http://www.joesantiqueauto.com/catalog.pdf

This message was edited by MG on 6-13-18 @ 10:13 AM

Chris.NZ    -- 06-13-2018 @ 4:22 PM
  And " Delivery" is incorrectly spelt on the cover page.

deluxe40    -- 06-13-2018 @ 7:22 PM
  Joe's truck is a Panel Truck, rather than a Sedan Delivery. It is configured like a pickup and is correct.

deluxe40    -- 06-13-2018 @ 7:33 PM
  A '40 Delivery I once owned had a Deluxe speedometer, door handles, dash knobs and a Deluxe hood and grille. However, it had a "standard" glove box door with no clock and no holes in the dash for the small chrome strips above and below the ash trays. The Delivery came from Hawaii and did not look like it had ever been a hot rod. Still had the stock splash pans in the engine compartment.

trjford8    -- 06-15-2018 @ 6:39 AM
  There's a sedan delivery in our area( owned by a friend) that has the same dash configuration as the one you had. Standard dash with deluxe gauges, deluxe knobs, standard glove box door and no trim strips. It also has the deluxe door handles and the deluxe front end. In looking at many sedan deliveries we also found that some had an actual headliner and others used the cardboard style headliner. I think there are a lot of unknowns with sedan deliveries.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-15-18 @ 6:43 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-15-2018 @ 10:00 PM
  You have peaked my interest. I have a 37 Sedan Delivery that soon will get upholstered. I am doing everything I can to make it original. I talked to Roy N. and he said the headliner was upholstery material. The Henry Ford book I have states that it was fine grade colonial cardboard. I have what I think are the original headliner ribs installed. Any way to settle what the original headliner material was???
Thanks,
gregg

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 06-16-2018 @ 5:37 AM
  The 37 Ford body parts list calls for passenger car headliner retainers part numbers 78-736682/83 to be used on the sedan delivery. I do not think you would need the retainers if the headliner was cardboard. See attached photo.

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-16-2018 @ 7:50 AM
  Good point. I didn't think to look at the Body Parts list book. I see those two strip listed on page 59. I also see 5 bows were used. The three in the back that attach to the wood framing are the same. There are two bows (different part numbers) listed, that must be in the front. I only have one bow installed and now am unsure of where the two bows go. Any way you can take a picture of the two front bows and where the are installed?
Thanks for your help.
Gregg
(p.s. sorry to hi-jack this thread. We can start another one if appropriate.)

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 6-16-18 @ 7:52 AM

deluxe40    -- 06-16-2018 @ 10:41 AM
  Here's a picture of a '41 that I believe is original. This Sedan Delivery also had the full wood grained dash.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11987