Topic: Directional Light R Side only light us no blink

murphy1941    -- 06-06-2018 @ 5:40 PM
  Lights up from and rear but doesn't blink. Left side blinks good. Changed bulbs,made sure they went in properly. So if one side blinks ok the relay is fine? If I get steady light on right side I've got power but can't be relay? Right it doesn't know right from left?

40cpe    -- 06-06-2018 @ 7:50 PM
  oops! reread the question

This message was edited by 40cpe on 6-6-18 @ 7:51 PM

murphy1941    -- 06-06-2018 @ 8:05 PM
  Any way to test wire contacts front and rear. Should their be power from both contacts in the bulb socket when you put on directional? I maybe should test that?

JayChicago    -- 06-06-2018 @ 9:09 PM
  Does the front turn signal bulb on that side light with directionals on? If not, that could explain your symptoms. The older style thermal flashers require full current flowing thru BOTH bulbs for the flasher to work. If the front bulb is burnt out (or has a bad ground or bad connection), the rear bulb on that side lights, but does not flash.

To answer your later question, only one contact in the socket will have power with directionals on. The other contact is for the running light, power is there only when light switch is on.

trjford8    -- 06-07-2018 @ 7:17 AM
  Jay has the answer. Also check all your grounds to all the lights. Faulty grounding can cause you a myriad of problems.

murphy1941    -- 06-07-2018 @ 7:19 PM
  Thank you worked on it today for a few hours. Noticed bulbs were good after testing but one was a 1034 the other 1157. Checked my book says 1034 with 4.6 cp. then called auto store found 1157 was 24 cp. would one being 24 and the wrong bulb cause my problem with only steady light front and back but no blinking? I will check other good side bulbs see what they have. Living alone with only my buddy dog I have to split my time with house duties, lawn, etc so another question, can't find where relay can is looked under dash on the 57 but couldn't see it . Could it be in engine Bay Area? Thanks for all input you guys are great

murphy1941    -- 06-07-2018 @ 7:21 PM
  With signal on both front and rear and dash indicator lights up but no blink

TomO    -- 06-08-2018 @ 7:47 AM
  I am guessing that you are working on your 57 T-Bird. Correct me if I am wrong.

The easiest way to find the flasher is to listen for it. It should be under the dash on the drivers side. Your left turn signals work, so use them to find the flasher.

Turn on your parking lights and see if both the left and right are the same brightness. If one is dimmer, you may have a grounding problem. Short out the brake switch by connecting the wires together and look to see if the brake lights are the same brightness and if there is any light at the front parking lights. If the stop lights are different brightness or one or both parking lights show dim lights, you have a poor ground somewhere.

If all lights work OK, you probably have a problem with a short at the junction block under the dash. The left turn brake wire is green with an orange tracer and the right side is orange with a blue tracer on the 57 Ford.

Tom

murphy1941    -- 06-08-2018 @ 1:04 PM
  Tom, 57 FAIRLANE HT Victoria didn't work on it today. Tomorrow better needed rest

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11986