Topic: 6V testing tools

jimbomac    -- 06-05-2018 @ 1:07 PM
  Does anybody have a reliable source for 6V testing tools, multimeter, timing light, etc? Thanks!

fenbach    -- 06-05-2018 @ 7:47 PM
  any multimeter will work. even the free ones from harbor freight.
I use a 12 V timing light. just power it with a 12 V battery or battery pack.
that said, most anything you might want will show up on ebay sooner or late.

cliftford    -- 06-05-2018 @ 9:05 PM
  For most vintage automotive work, I prefer an analog meter to a digital. It gives a steadier reading.

For most vintage automotive work, I prefer an analog meter to a digital. It gives a steadier reading.

TomO    -- 06-06-2018 @ 7:11 AM
  When buying old test equipment, get a guarantee that it works. There are test sets on E-Bay that may not work and the seller wants a lot of money for them.

If it uses a battery make sure that the original requirement was not a mercury battery, as you cannot buy them any more. Alkaline batteries will affect the accuracy of the equipment.

Swap meets are a good source for used equipment, but make sure that it works before you lay out the money. The Craftsman engine analyzers are usually available in working condition for less than $50 and are a good value. Most Sun test equipment made in the last century required mercury batteries.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-07-2018 @ 1:37 PM
  While I have a drawer full of miscellaneous test equipment, including a $5K code reader, my favorite choice is my ancient Heathkit analog meter for "everyday" troubleshooting. Digital meters are required for modern cars, but the swinging needle on the analog type is easier to read without having to spend time figuring out bugs in our old vehicles. Get a meter with a large face to read from a distance.

cliftford    -- 06-07-2018 @ 2:42 PM
  In reference to TomO's comment; I have a sun distributor tester and a Sun dwell tach, 1940s vintage. Both take regular flashlight batteries for the dwell tach functions and seem to be accurate when checked against modern equipment Which testers used mercury batteries?

woodiewagon46    -- 06-07-2018 @ 2:43 PM
  Lowes and Home Depot both have a large selection of multimeters in a range of prices.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-07-2018 @ 2:43 PM
  Lowes and Home Depot both have a large selection of multimeters in a range of prices.

cliftford    -- 06-07-2018 @ 2:44 PM
  In reference to TomO's comment; I have a sun distributor tester and a Sun dwell tach, 1940s vintage. Both take regular flashlight batteries for the dwell tach functions and seem to be accurate when checked against modern equipment Which testers used mercury batteries?

cliftford    -- 06-07-2018 @ 2:48 PM

TomO    -- 06-08-2018 @ 8:11 AM
  I have a model 216 tach dwell and it uses mercury batteries. They started using the mercury batteries in the later 1950's and I don't know when they stopped using them.

Test equipment that uses the mercury batteries can be used with standard batteries, but as the voltage decreases, which happens as soon as you have current draw, the accuracy suffers.

Tom

51f1    -- 06-09-2018 @ 1:55 PM
  I couldn't adjust my voltage regulator with a digital meter, however, my free Harbor Freight analog worked just fine.

Richard

JayChicago    -- 06-09-2018 @ 4:50 PM
  I have heard it said here before, but I don't understand this. Why are modern digital meters, able to measure in milivolts, not as good for our purposes as a older technology analog meters??

MG    -- 06-09-2018 @ 5:36 PM
  The high voltage spikes when the engine is running interfere with the the digital read-out of the meter. Most digital meters are not shielded from this interference. Think of the static you hear during a lightning storm on a AM radio. I don't think there is a problem using a digital meter when the engine is not running.

This message was edited by MG on 6-9-18 @ 5:38 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 06-10-2018 @ 8:14 AM
  I have a Fluke digital meter and a Simpson 260 analog, that is probably over 50 years old and the Simpson is the one I use most of the time.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-10-2018 @ 8:14 AM
  I have a Fluke digital meter and a Simpson 260 analog, that is probably over 50 years old and the Simpson is the one I use most of the time.

JayChicago    -- 06-10-2018 @ 1:55 PM
  MG
Thanks for that reply. Makes sense to me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11978