Topic: Steering box

silverchief    -- 06-03-2018 @ 3:05 PM
  The steering box in my 46 is leaking...a lot.. Is it a simple matter of putting it on a lift, and drop the bottom plate to install a new gasket? I see where "the sector shaft seal" is not included with the gasket set. What is this seal, and is installing it a whole different (and difficult) procedure? Where might I find step by step instructions?

Thanks very much.

sarahcecelia    -- 06-04-2018 @ 8:11 AM
  It's that easy! But I would take the cap screws out, all but one, and then loosen that one enough for it to drain into a pan, before I attempt to change the gasket.I would put a light coat of non hardening Permatex on both sides where the gasket seats, to ensure a good seal. The leak by the way, is usually the sector shaft seal. The lube gets past it and then the gasket leaks. If that sector shaft seal is bad, the lube drains down out of the area where the worm gear is, and with no lube there you will ruin your worm gear. I'd shop around and try to get that seal! That housing and sector shaft drop out, but be certain to put it back w/the teeth meshed right where they were. I tied the steering wheel in the "dead ahead poston,"( and the pitman arm pointing straight back toward the rear) and marked the two housings with a paint mark, before I took that sector shaft housing out so I could put it back, exactly where it was before!If you did it right the pitman arm points straight back, and the steering wheel is in the position of going "straight down the road!"

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 06-04-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  You can test the seal by putting a little gear oil in the steering box, after the draining has stopped.(maybe overnight) Put the cover on with the new gasket and permatex, put the pitman back on and then after putting that lube in and giving it overnight to leak or not. Take the cover off. if you then see lube dripping out, the seal is guilty.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 06-04-2018 @ 8:39 AM
  With the sector shaft out, and the lower housing off, you simply "pick" the seal out carefully from the lower housing, put a socket of just the right size over the metal on the seal, and tap it in with a hammer carefully until it is seated. Be careful not to smash it! I would also put just a little permatex on the metal edge of the seal. When putting the lower housing back on the sector shaft, put a little gear oil on the seal and sector shaft to ease it on without marring the sealing edge!

Regards, Steve Lee

silverchief    -- 06-04-2018 @ 10:32 AM

Thanks very much Steve. Now I know the steps to take, and how to proceed to stay out of trouble.

C&G has the gasket set and the seal so I will order both. Very much appreciated!

sarahcecelia    -- 06-05-2018 @ 9:32 AM
  Your very welcome! I just did the one on my '50 Crestliner, so that's how I know how to do the job.

Regards, Steve Lee

RoHo    -- 06-08-2018 @ 9:47 AM
  Other than the leaking box if it seems to steers good and feel right otherwise you might want to try Corn Head steering box grease that you can purchase at your local John Deer Tractor store. This stuff WORKS and your box will NOT leak anymore.
Google it, and it has a short video showing you how it works.

FordFreak    -- 06-08-2018 @ 2:40 PM
  I put the J D Corn head grease in both my early Fords . Steers easy & no more leaking . Same in the torquetube clamsh*ll . The stuff does indeed work ! - F F

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11971