Topic: WIPER LINE MYSTERY

autoluke    -- 05-26-2018 @ 2:52 AM
  I have decided to find the line restriction which causes my '41 wipers to move VERY slowly, and discovered a small cylindrical part adjacent to the manifold port.

As it is connected to the line, it occurs to me that it might be the culprit..otherwise I will be faced with removing the wiper motor for inspection.. Advice ?

ken ct.    -- 05-26-2018 @ 3:49 AM
  If its a small can like thing,its supposed to be there called a silencer I think by Ford. Remove and make sure you can blow through both ends. Could be clogged up with carbon or whatever. Be careful they are fragial and hard to find nowadays. ken ct.

carcrazy    -- 05-26-2018 @ 3:01 PM
  Vacuum powered windshield wipers do not move as quickly as electrically operated ones do. How much manifold vacuum do you have at idle? Some later flatheads came with a two stage mechanical fuel pump located in place of the regular one on the intake manifold. These two stage pumps incorporated a vacuum pump for the windshield wipers to improve their operation. If you choose to install a two stage fuel pump, be sure to use an engine oil or additive with the required amount zinc to reduce wear on the fuel pump lobe of the engine's camshaft.

TomO    -- 05-27-2018 @ 6:20 AM
  Slow wipers can be caused by binds in the linkage, low vacuum, motor that has dried out or worn out motor.

Check the vacuum going to the wiper at the hose going to the wiper motor. If it is less than 16 inches, check at the intake manifold port. If it is low there, check the vacuum gauge chart to help determine the cause.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

If it is OK at the wiper motor, remove the wiper blades, oil the pivot points in the linkage and run the wiperes while driving around for at least 1 hour.

If the wipers speed up, you have fixed the problem, if they are still slow, remove the motor and operate the motor by hand. If it moves easily, you will have to have the motor rebuilt. If it is stiff. feed some light oil, like 3 in one, into the vacuum port and operate the motor by hand, re-install the motor and try the wipers.

If they speed up, you have fixed the problem, if they are still slow,have the motor rebuilt.

If the vacuum is low at the wiper motor and OK at the intake manifold, the problem could be a leaky vacuum hose or a bad wiper motor switch.

Tom

len47merc    -- 05-28-2018 @ 1:47 PM
  autoluke - perhaps a dumb question but just to clarify what you are asking, are you referring to your wipers are moving VERY slowly when they are turned fully ON to the 'high' setting? Or do they move very slowly on all settings?

Or, do they simply move VERY slowly in the 'off' position?

Did they ever operate on this car more swiftly or are you experiencing this for the first time and do not have any experience with how they are capable of running on (this) '41?

While all excellent advice from those responding (as usual), I had a similar question on an idled-for~40 year '47 'back in the day' and went through all the technical stuff before realizing I was simply rotating the knob in the incorrect direction. Once I literally stumbled on this I found the wipers ran far more quickly at routine rpm on the 'high' setting (which is realized first when rotating in the correct direction) than any modern-day car - actually was concerned the arms would fling the blades off. The far end of the rotation yielded the 'low' setting. When rotating in the opposite direction to the far end of the rotation, thinking it should operate in sequence 'off', 'low', then 'high', the wipers simply ran extremely slowly and would never completely cut off at what I then thought was the 'off' setting . Once I cleared my personal stupid train on this one they worked as designed and very swiftly if needed.

Just something to think about. Surprising how often simple things end up being the root cause and how difficult it is for someone to feed you the correct answer based on a few words in a question without actually being there seeing what you are seeing and experiencing. In the end, if I knew without question how they are capable of running and the proper direction to rotate the knob then I'd go through TomO's trouble-shooting routine.

Steve

autoluke    -- 05-31-2018 @ 9:03 AM
  Vacuum seems OK, but the switch enables me to turn it a dozen times before stopping.

What is the correct limit to the switch rotation ?

autoluke    -- 05-31-2018 @ 9:33 AM
  MORE INFO

Finally pulled the switch to have a look, and found that the disc on the forward end of the fitting had been sealed with a second rate material.

A lot of corrosion inside that opening, which leads me to either locate a replacement, or retrofit a switch from another model/year.

Suggestions ?

TomO    -- 06-01-2018 @ 6:45 AM
  There are 2 switches for sale on E-Bay at this time.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1941+ford+wiper+control&ul_noapp=true

Tom

autoluke    -- 06-06-2018 @ 9:53 AM
  Thanks to all

Got a new switch via ebayl today , and noted three hose connections.
Two larger ones are obviously in-and-out vacuum, but not sure about the third one with a much smaller diameter.

Advice ?

TomO    -- 06-07-2018 @ 6:38 AM
  the smaller hose goes to the left side of the wiper motor to park the wipers

Tom

autoluke    -- 06-07-2018 @ 10:39 AM
  Thanks Tom

And a note of appreciation for all of the valuable information presented on this form.

I am somewhat new to Ford ownership, and can say that the various posts have been extremely helpful.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11955