Topic: Choke & Throttle rod joints

lance99    -- 05-15-2018 @ 12:22 PM
  What is the preferred method of clamping new rubber chock & throttle rod joints to the rods?

I guess I could use a pair of pliers but concerned that they would look like cr*p. The old ones were a bear (the rubber was broken and were just wired together) to get off and I had to use a die grinder parallel to to the rod to cut off. The originals had nice looking two small crimps on each.

What tool to use?

Thx
Lance

flatheadfan    -- 05-15-2018 @ 10:51 PM
  Lance-

You didn't say what year you were working on but what I have done on my '35 and '36 was to thread the the two rod ends and used a turnbuckle to attach. It is neat and allows for micro-adjustment or easy removal if needed

Tom

Drbrown    -- 05-17-2018 @ 10:03 PM
  On my '47 the OE rubber knuckles had cracked at the ends, not holding onto the choke rod ends. I keep them and installed very small hose screw clamps on each end. Not stock butt works fine.

kubes40    -- 05-18-2018 @ 5:30 AM
  Lance, it is always helpful to include the model you are referring to.

The rubber joints on a 39 + 40 can be replaced rather easily. I use a little oil on the joint to push it over the rod end. You will need to remove the rod from the vehicle to do this. Again, a simply operation.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

lance99    -- 05-18-2018 @ 9:53 AM
  It's for a 1947 with a Holley 94.

Here's a pic of the joint. It slides over the rods on each end but is not a sufficiently tight joint without a crimp or glue? or other?

kubes40    -- 05-18-2018 @ 12:00 PM
  There was at one time just the rubber part available.

I have used this type of joints too. You will have to remove the rod from the car. I have a tool that compresses fencing joints and use that. I believe if you don't have ready access to that type of tool, you could place this in a "V" block and hammer in a "crimp" of sorts with a pointed cold chisel.

Another option? Solder the joint.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11926