Topic: 47 Ford button removal

jamesmundstock    -- 05-12-2018 @ 2:21 PM
  I know I am suppose to depress the center button and rotate counter clockwise. I have the bars of the horn ring zipped tied down and have tapped on the center button and cannot get it to budge. Any suggestions on how to persuade it to move. I hate to say but I used a block of wood and hit the edge pretty hard and all I did was dent the wood. Thiss puppy is stubborn

cliftford    -- 05-12-2018 @ 4:50 PM
  Cut the zip ties, press down on the horn ring and rotate counter clock wise. It should come loose. The horn medallion does not move or rotate, except with the horn ring.

42wagon    -- 05-13-2018 @ 3:36 AM
  Just to add to what cliftford said I believe he medallion is held in the horn ring by a bezel with clips on the underside that have to be bent back to release the medallion. Be careful turning the ring as it is diecast.

len47merc    -- 05-13-2018 @ 4:05 AM
  It takes more pressure than you think not only to depress the center of the horn ring but to rotate counter-clockwise. Do not turn the ring from the outside but using the palm of one hand hold it down in the center and then using your other hand near the center of the horn ring use your fingers on the back side of the steering wheel spoke and then use a thumb to press counterclockwise 1-3" - no more - from the center of the horn ring and push counterclockwise. You may find it easier to have a helper hold down the center while you use two hands - one on each spoke - with your thumbs pushing against each spoke to get it to rotate. It is made of pot metal so it's easy to crack which is why you should try to apply Force only near the center and not near the perimeter of the Ring. It will come off. There is a rubber ring about 1/2 inch thick underneath the horn ring that sometimes gets hard and brittle with age that you'll have to apply adequate Force to overcome it to remove the ring.

42wagon is correct about The Medallion being secured from the back of the horn ring.

The Wire to the horn is connected to the bottom side of the horn ring so be conscious of that and not pull it away immediately. Be careful when it comes off not only to ensure you remove the wire with the screw that has it attached to the horn ring but also the configuration of the spring and other components to assist you on reinstall.

Also search this forum for information on this. I recall submitting a similar question on my 47 a few years back and a number of good tips came out of that.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-13-18 @ 4:23 AM

jamesmundstock    -- 05-14-2018 @ 9:05 AM
  Got it off. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11913