Topic: Fuel and oil pressure gauge not working

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 9:33 AM
  1935 Phaeton
Is the fuel gauge mechanical? I do not have any wires from the sending unit to the gauge.

Does this look correct?

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 9:35 AM
  More Pho

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 9:36 AM
  More photos

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 9:36 AM
  More photos

MG    -- 05-12-2018 @ 10:17 AM
  It's called a hydrostatic fuel gauge. It's not electric. It uses a sender in the tank to transmit air pressure through a line to the gauge, which moves fluid up and down in the glass sight tube. Ford used this type of system through 1935....

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 1:09 PM
  Thanks for your response. Question, looking at the photos does the set up look proper?
Do you have any suggestions regarding troubleshooting the system.
Lastly, I understand the oil pressure gauge and the fuel gauge are separate. Both of mine are out is it possible that one failure interferes with the other?

MG    -- 05-12-2018 @ 2:08 PM
  I wish you would have taken a picture of the front of the gauges. Your fuel gauge will not interfere with the operation of the oil pressure gauge and vice-versa. Your oil pressure gauge is hooked electrically to a sending unit on the backside of the block - drivers side. I don't have the expertise to advise you as to troubleshooting the fuel gauge. As for the oil gauge, the sending unit might be bad or you might have a problem with the electrical connections or the gauge itself might be faulty.

Lobo    -- 05-12-2018 @ 3:13 PM
  Front of gauges

flatheadfan    -- 05-12-2018 @ 5:22 PM
  lobo-

It looks like you have a real mess on your hands. Unless you are going for a 1000 point car, have you given any thought to switching to a '36 fuel gauge (all electric) and tank? If you plan on doing any serious driving you will be glad you did.

Tom

MG    -- 05-12-2018 @ 5:25 PM
  In the second picture you posted you can see the oil pressure sending unit with wire connected to it just below the red wire. I've never seen a sender like that but that doesn't mean its not correct. Looks like the primary problem is the excessive corrosion on the back side of the gauge. Doesn't appear to be any red fluid in the gas gauge. You will have to remove the gauges for repair.

You might want to try this vendor to repair your gauges > http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/c-85-king-seeley-hobson-fuel-gauge.aspx

TomO    -- 05-13-2018 @ 8:55 AM
  The oil pressure sending unit shown in the second photo is an aftermarket variable resister type that does not work very well when new and are prone to failure.

Your car requires a 50 lb sending unit and they are hard to find. If you can find an original one in any condition, buy it and if it doesn't work, have it repaired.

I may still have one in my garage, I will look after the Grand National and send you a PM if I have one.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 05-14-2018 @ 5:22 AM
  It appears there is fuel escaping somewhere around your fuel level sending unit. The leaking fuel has caused the paint in this area to lift off the metal. It may be as simple as a loose fitting or the sending unit gasket to the tank. It could also be the short lines on the sending unit have cracked solder joints where they attach to either the mounting of the sending unit or where they connect to the fittings for the lines. It may be a good idea to remove the sender and clean it up and look for cracks in solder joints. A crack can cause the fuel level gauge to not work. It can also make it difficult if not impossible for the fuel pump to pick up fuel from the tank. Always use two wrenches to tighten the sending unit fitting, one of which should be a line wrench.
The rust around the back of the fuel level gauge is caused by the gauge red fluid being spilled. The fluid is very corrosive.

Lobo    -- 05-16-2018 @ 5:06 PM
  Thank you all for your responses, I learned a lot. I will be working on it throughout the summer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11912