Topic: rebuilt engine turnover

sundog126    -- 05-11-2018 @ 8:25 AM
  After getting my motor out of a machine shop ,I put all new parts in by the book, but when I try to turn it over on the stand with the heads off I need a torque wrench and about 40-50 lbs to turn it over, is this nomal ? I oiled everything up but it seems tight to me, I haven't rebuilt a motor in a long time, any input would help.

cliftford    -- 05-11-2018 @ 12:23 PM
  If all clearances are according to specs, this sounds fairly normal especially if you have rope type crank seals.

pauls39coupe    -- 05-11-2018 @ 5:18 PM
  Before you button everything up check the rod ends. Usually they are marked with a dot or a number on the cap and the rod to be sure they are a pair and that the dots or numbers are on the same side. One or two assembled backwards or on the wrong rod will make things real tight. Numbers one and two main caps could also be on backwards.
I would also recommend using some type of assembly lube on all the bearing, to prevent a dry start.
If you feel the engine is still too tight, try loosening all the bearings, rods and mains to see if that makes a difference. You may have some with little or no clearance. Check all the bearing clearances with Plastic-gage. Don't trust that the machine shop got it right.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-11-2018 @ 6:00 PM
  Did you get any kind of spec sheet from the company that built your motor? I agree with Paul and take a day and do what he recommends. Make sure you oil the cylinder walls as you spin the motor over. Keep us posted.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-11-2018 @ 6:00 PM
  Did you get any kind of spec sheet from the company that built your motor? I agree with Paul and take a day and do what he recommends. Make sure you oil the cylinder walls as you spin the motor over. Keep us posted.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-11-2018 @ 6:53 PM
  Make sure you have .003 thousandths clearance for oil on all bearings, and yes it will still turn hard- there's a lot of drag on the new rings and correctly honed cylinder walls

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 05-12-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  I measure all new parts. Pistons MUST be measured as they are often not manufactured to the best of specifications. Also, check ring gap. You should not take for granted that new parts are "good" parts.
I suggest you install one piston / rod assembly at a time, turning the engine over after each.
The engine, once assembled, will seem a bit tight turn by hand - that's typical.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11907